The Noble Network of Charter Schools
Associate General Counsel
Be Noble. Be an Associate General Counsel at Noble.
Starting as one school in 1999, the Noble Network of Charter Schools has grown to serve more than 12,000 students from 70 different communities at 18 separate campuses in Chicago, Illinois. Noble is Chicago’s largest and highest performing non-selective public school network. In 2015, Noble won the Broad Prize for Public Charter Schools, which is awarded to the highest-performing network of charter schools in the country. And in 2020, research from MIT economists showed that students who attended Noble schools grew more academically than similar peers who attended elite, selective enrollment high schools.
As an organization of over 1,400 full-time employees, tens of thousands of students and alumni, and an operating budget of over $180 million dollars, Noble is seeking an Associate General Counsel to spearhead and lead Noble’s commercial legal work. This attorney will develop Noble’s overall commercial contracting strategy and will lead the daily review, structure, drafting, negotiation and execution of complex commercial agreements. This will be the second attorney to join our growing legal team.
Ideal candidates will have 4-6 years of in-depth commercial legal experience, preferably at a major law firm and/or in-house legal department. He or she will be detail-oriented and highly organized and will have experience with vendor agreements, service agreements, software agreements, research agreements, real estate leases, MOUs/LOIs, and general corporate governance matters. Given that we’re a small, entrepreneurial legal department, the successful candidate will also need to assist as needed on other assorted legal matters, spanning the employee benefits, education, labor & employment, and intellectual property spaces.
The Associate General Counsel will report directly to the General Counsel.
- Spearhead and implement Noble’s overall commercial contracting strategy, from developing the contract management process, identifying the appropriate risk profile, and pinpointing non-negotiable concerns.
- Provide thought leadership while working with minimum supervision in a fast-paced environment requiring superior prioritization skills.
- Negotiate and execute contracts in a timely manner, balancing Noble’s need to minimize unnecessary risk while responding to its need to innovate and move at an efficient pace.
- Possess, maintain, and grow an extensive understanding of common law contracts, the Illinois Uniform Commercial Code, secured transactions, and data privacy.
- Assist with corporate governance matters pursuant to the Illinois General Not For Profit Corporation Act and Open Meetings Act. This will include, but is not limited to, assisting with amendments to organization by-laws, drafting board resolutions, and preparing for quarterly board meetings.
- Demonstrate an ability to explain complex legal concepts and positions to internal and external stakeholders, many of whom are non-lawyers, and garner requisite buy-in.
- Provide counseling advice and training as necessary to help streamline Noble’s contract review process and overall risk profile.
- Develop relationships with external counsel who may also provide contract support and bring best practices to the organization.
- Manage external spend budget appropriately.
- Stay current on relevant laws and regulations and be a subject matter expert.
Skills and Characteristics
- A deep-rooted passion for Noble’s mission and work in Chicago. A desire to work with highly talented, smart people who are passionate about Noble’s mission.
- An exemplary embodiment of Noble’s core values of results; respect; follow-through; diversity, equity, and inclusion; humility and self-awareness.
- An ability to exercise considerable judgment, discretion and high ethical standards in establishing and maintaining good working relationships in a way that is consistent with Noble’s culture and values.
- Excellent advocacy, oral, and written communication skills.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Strong legal reasoning, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Capacity to analyze and articulate legal concepts and other complex issues to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- JD from an accredited U.S. law school with strong academic credentials
- 4-6 years of in-depth commercial legal experience, preferably at a major law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Licensed to practice in Illinois
- Maintain an active and in good standing membership with the Illinois bar
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please be prepared to submit a resume and at least three professional references. Please direct inquiries about this role to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statement of Non Discrimination
Noble is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic or classification protected by law.