The Noble Network of Charter Schools
Director of Financial Operations
Noble is Chicago’s highest-performing and largest network of public charter high schools. Our 18 schools and 1,400 employees currently serve over 12,300 students, 98% of whom are minority, 89% low-income, and 83% first-generation college-goers. At Noble, we have one mission: to be a catalyst for educational equity in the city of Chicago that empowers students with the scholarship, discipline, and honor necessary to succeed in college and lead exemplary lives. We know that we can fulfill this mission if we are the best place for a diverse mix of driven, reflective, and innovative educators and support staff to come, stay, and do their best work nurturing college-ready students.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and working in close coordination with the Controller and the Accounts Payable Supervisor, the Director of Financial Operations is responsible for reimagining—and implementing—better and more efficient ways to run the everyday processes and underlying infrastructure of the Finance department, and improving the workflows involving the Finance department and Noble’s 18 campuses and other home office departments.
This position is operational and projects/process-oriented in nature, and does not require deep knowledge of accounting and finance concepts. However, familiarity with accounts payable and accounts receivables processes, as well as ERP and data systems in general is a strong plus.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Work with CFO and Controller at analyzing and improving existing workflows and processes involving the finance department
- Manage the corporate P-card program
- Support student billing process, invoices, and collections
- Vendor compliance, vetting of new vendors as required by federal regulations, support new contract process in coordination with Noble’s legal counsel
- Direct and execute vendor management programs and initiatives that facilitate campus and home office leaders achieving their goals; manage vendor relationships with Amazon, Office Depot, Pitney Bowes, and other key vendors
- Support Campus Operation Leads in finance-related processes such as student billing, collections, expense reimbursement, and P-card customer service
- Update end-to-end cash receipts process workflows, and communicate and coordinate standardization of existing processes
- Update finance-related policies and procedures, in coordination with Controller
- Team up with Accounts Payable Supervisor to improve and streamline AP functions
- Oversee expense reimbursement processes for employees
- Proven track record of ambitious results in previous roles
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Highly organized, excellent follow-through, and impressive attention to detail
- Humility and self-awareness, a regular practice of reflection, receptivity to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve
- Customer-service orientation, excellent communication skills, and ability to build effective partnerships across the organization
- Familiarity with databases and other data systems
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Able to manage a heavy workload and meet critical deadlines
- Comfortable operating at a detailed level, but also able to step back and see the big picture
- Effective project and process management skills
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Eligibility to work in the United States on a full-time basis
- A high degree of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Compensation & Benefits
We strive to be the best place to work, and our employee compensation and benefits are thoughtfully designed to support us in this ambition. Noble provides competitive salaries; health, dental, life and disability insurance; 401k contributions; vacation/sick leave; and many other perks.
Statement of Non Discrimination
Noble is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic or classification protected by law.