Special Education Teacher - Masters Program
Earn your Masters of Arts in Teaching while serving as a full-time Learning Specialist at Noble!
Noble is Chicago’s highest-performing and largest network of public charter high schools. Our 18 schools and 1,300 employees currently serve over 12,300 students, 98% of whom are minority, 89% low-income, and 83% first-generation college goers. At Noble, we have one mission: to be a catalyst for educational equity in the city of Chicago that empowers students with the scholarship, discipline, and honor necessary to succeed in college and lead exemplary lives. We know that we can fulfill this mission if we are the best place for a diverse mix of driven, reflective, and innovative educators to come, stay, and do their best work nurturing college-ready students. We as an organization along with the people we hire must have a commitment to being anti-racist in all areas of our organization. In the past we have diligently worked toward pursuing the accomplishments listed above. We plan to use that same determination, innovation, and diligence in our goal to become a anti-racist organization and we’d welcome you to join us.
Noble Learning Specialists, our title for Special Education Teachers, provide individualized opportunities for students to practice the skills and habits necessary to be successful in school. Learning Specialists provide support in a variety of classroom models including inclusion, instructional (small-group), and pull-out.
Noble is committed to investing in and developing educators who want to serve our students with disabilities. For this reason, Noble partners with the Relay Graduate School of Education to give participants the opportunity to earn an Illinois teaching license and a Master of Arts in Teaching in two years. Participants will serve as full-time learning specialists at a Noble campus and will undergo professional development in this high-needs area through a dynamic graduate program. Grounded in the practices of successful teachers and schools, this online Master’s program offers graduate students with the opportunity to work with expert faculty who have vast experience in education practice and theory, be a part of a dedicated cohort where you can connect with peers on the same path, get targeted, personal feedback from professors and peers, and experience authentic practice to develop your skills and confidence in the classroom. The special education curriculum provides a foundation in all disabilities, with a specific focus on developing your expertise for learning disabilities and high-incidence behavioral needs. You’ll also learn how to advocate on behalf of your students to ensure that they receive the services and support they deserve. At the end of the two year program, you will graduate with your Master of Arts in Teaching and your Illinois teaching license with a Learning Behavior Specialist (LBS1) endorsement.
- A Bachelor’s degree by June 2022
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of a 2.5
- Admittance and enrollment into Relay Graduate School of Education (following point of offer)
- No current Illinois teaching license
- Pass required state exams (1) Learning Behavior Specialist 1 and (2) Special Education General Curriculum by June 2022
- Eligibility to work in the United States on a full-time basis
- 75% of tuition covered by Noble
- Earn a lead teacher salary and be eligible for benefits while also being enrolled in the graduate program
- Up to $500 reimbursement of testing registration costs and license fees
- Guidance in the application and certification exam process
- Skill development in a highly desirable specialization that is transferable to any school setting
- A Master’s degree from an accredited national nonprofit institution of higher education
- An Illinois teaching license with an LBS1 endorsement
- An unwavering belief that all students can succeed in high school, college, and lead exemplary lives
- Proven commitment to serving students of color
- Self-awareness, a regular practice of reflection, and a desire to continuously improve
- Follow through, attention to detail, and a belief in our students matters
Statement of Non Discrimination
Noble is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic or classification protected by law.