Positions available at: Johnson College Prep
Noble is Chicago’s highest-performing and largest network of public charter high schools. Our 18 schools and 1,500 employees currently serve over 12,500 students, 98% of whom are students of color, 90% low-income, and 81% first-generation college-goers. The School Quality and Rating Policy scores for the Chicago Public Schools rated Noble campuses as ten of the top twelve public high schools in the city. Noble supports over 20,000 alumni with 98% of Noble students accepted into college and almost 94% choosing to enroll.
The people we hire must have a commitment to being anti-racist in all areas of our organization. In the past, we have diligently worked toward pursuing the accomplishments listed above. We plan to use that same determination, innovation, and diligence in our goal to become an anti-racist organization. We believe our people are the most valuable asset in preparing our students to be successful in college and lead choice-filled lives - and welcome those ready to join us in that pursuit.
Who We’re Seeking
The custodian’s primary job function is to maintain the facility and grounds of the school in an attractive, sanitary and safe condition for students, staff, and visitors. The custodian will also provide equipment and furniture arrangements for meetings, classroom activities, and special functions. Responsible for minimizing property damage, loss and liability exposure.
- Arranges furnishings and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparations for meetings, classroom activities and events.
- Cleans all school facilities as assigned (e.g. classrooms, offices, restrooms, multipurpose rooms, corridors, windows, walls, floors, locker rooms, etc.)
- Removes graffiti from all surfaces inside and outside the school and around the school grounds. Helps with repairs to facilities building, furnishings and equipment as assigned.
- Makes daily rounds outside the school to remove debris of all kinds, including papers, beverage containers, landscaping material.
- Performs snow and ice removal, all around the school, shoveling, using snow blowers and spreading de-icing materials as needed.
- Remove all food garbage from the cafeteria after each student's meal periods, remove all food garbage to waste receptacles outside, replace liners and maintain garbage cans and gondolas in a clean, odor free condition.
- Maintains supplies and equipment (e.g. Cleaning solutions, paper products, vacuums, mops and buckets brooms etc.)
- Prepares facility for daily operations as may be needed (e.g. opening gates, unlocking doors, sweeping/mopping, removing snow, salting entrances and sidewalks etc.,)
- Responds to and reports immediate safety and or operational concerns (e.g. light bulbs out, facility damages, injured or ill students, unauthorized personnel, alarms etc.)
- Secures facility and grounds as needed, (e.g. lock doors, turn out lights, unplug electrical equipment as assigned, etc.) to minimize property damage, equipment loss, and potential liability to the school.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Proven ability to exhibit strong critical thinking skills
- Consistently exhibits a service mentality, including being flexible, adaptable and humble
- Experience working with hand and power tools
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs and will occasionally be required to lift over 50lbs
- Ability to climb ladders and stand/walk much of the day
- A belief that all students, regardless of background and current ability, can succeed in high school, college, and life
- A belief in executing Noble’s approach to high expectations
- A record of pursuing and achieving ambitious results
- A regular practice of reflection and desire to continuously improve
- Eligibility to work in the United States on a full-time basis
What Noble has to Offer
A Focus on Learning: Our campus leaders minimize disruptions and maximize time focused on student learning. All classes start on time and are never interrupted with announcements, copy rooms are stockpiled with paper, and over 95% of students are in attendance daily.
Robust Student Services: We believe in serving the whole child. For this reason, each of our campuses is equipped with at least one full-time licensed Social Worker and teams of College Counselors. Additionally, our students have access to a variety of enrichment and extended learning options such as night and summer school courses and internship opportunities.
Active Community Involvement: Through parent advisory councils, feedback workshops, advocacy support, college enrollment guidance, quarterly parent-teacher conferences, advisory, and other engagement opportunities we invest in every student and family to build lasting, meaningful relationships.
Accountability and Support: Expectations are consistent for every adult and student in the building, and we welcome the accountability necessary to achieve excellence. We are obsessed with following through on the basics and are committed to supporting, developing, and retaining high-performing educators.
At Noble, our mission is to be a catalyst for educational equity in the city of Chicago that empowers students with the scholarship, discipline, and honor necessary to succeed in college and lead exemplary lives. We know that we only fulfill this mission if we are the best place for a diverse mix of driven, reflective, and innovative educators to come, stay, and do their best work nurturing college-ready students. That is why Noble is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic or classification protected by law.
Be Noble. Join our Mission today!