New Jersey Reporter
New Jersey Reporter
The WNYC/Gothamist Newsroom is looking for an ambitious, talented reporter to join our New Jersey team, working closely with our readers and listeners to cover the issues that matter the most to them.
This reporter will help conceive and design a community-engagement beat that will include soliciting questions and suggestions from our audience and reporting thoroughly on what is -- and what isn’t -- working in their neighborhoods and cities. The right candidate loves local news and believes that connecting residents with essential answers, resources, and services is one of the most important roles a media organization can play in its community. This reporter will also be expected to pitch in as necessary on breaking news and other stories in northern New Jersey.
This is a key role in a newsroom that is rapidly expanding and evolving how it covers the most fascinating region in America. The WNYC newsroom strives to make the New York/New Jersey region work for the people who live here, and has ambitious goals to reach new, diverse audiences through impactful, audience-focused journalism. Our reporters produce content for live air, on-demand podcasts and our website, Gothamist.com.
- Report and produce original news stories in both text and audio form that are clear, thorough, fair, timely and accurate
- Conceive, source and pitch stories on a variety of topics that will engage listeners and readers, answering pressing questions and giving daily utility that drives daily audience habits
- Consistently meet daily publishing deadlines
- Develop sources that lead to scoops our audience can’t get elsewhere
- Participate fully as a member of the New Jersey coverage team by contributing to coverage plans, meetings, brainstorming sessions, and newsroom projects
- Effectively coordinate with other editors and digital journalists for maximum reach across our platforms
- Enthusiastically participate in newsroom-wide efforts to improve workflows, policies, and various practices as requested
- 3 years professional reporting experience at a reputable news organization
- Superb communication skills, including public speaking skills, the ability to multitask, and experience covering breaking news
- Aptitude and comfort producing a broad range of content, including audio, text news stories, and social media
- Experience with audience-centered engagement projects strongly preferred
- Competence in SEO and other digital audience skills
- Experience using production systems and software tools required to edit, produce and curate content
- Ability to see the story that is going to engage audiences and to anticipate reader/listener interests
- Demonstrated knowledge of complex social and cultural issues
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to contribute an equity lens to every aspect of reporting
- Deep commitment to accurate, ethical journalism, and impeccable journalistic integrity and judgment
- Self-starter with proven ability to meet deadlines and pay close attention to detail and fact-checking
- The ability to work effectively with the public and colleagues at New York Public Radio
- Familiarity with New Jersey, its news ecosystem and culture
This is a full-time role that includes benefits. New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, personal, sick time and parental leave.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic this role is currently operating in a remote capacity, however, this position is expected to have a hybrid schedule long-term with some time spent at the New York office when it is safe to do so.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between New York Public Radio and SAG-AFTRA.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.