VP of Sponsorship
VP of Sponsorship
New York Public Radio is seeking a transformational VP of Sponsorship to evolve and grow one of the organization’s core sources of revenue. The ideal candidate will be committed to building our capacity in the digital space while maintaining our leadership in the broadcasting space. The VP of Sponsorship will lead New York Public Radio’s sponsorship revenue strategy, building the organization’s ability to deliver customized and off-the-shelf offerings to sponsors and sponsorship prospects across multiple media platforms. They will be a “revenue evangelist” for the organization, working collaboratively with key constituents internally and externally to drive future growth in a manner that is consistent with New York Public Radio’s overall mission.
This executive will direct sales staff responsible for radio, podcasting, display, streaming, and event sponsorships.
- Set and implement the overall strategy for growth of Sponsorship revenues within the context of NYPR’s overall strategic plan and annual operating plan.
- Establish and deliver on financial goals in coordination with senior management.
- Lead and direct a 20+person team comprised of sales executives and operational support staff.
- Recommend and implement organizational change as appropriate to enhance productivity and drive new growth initiatives.
- Create an environment that is innovative, respectful, inclusive, goal-oriented, and ambitious
- Add direct value to key client relationships, ad agency relationships, new business development, and marketing or cross-media programs.
- Assume hands-on responsibility for sponsorship cultivation processes, forecasts, tracking, and results.
- Assess and enhance the team’s ability to deliver on consultative sales, strategic account planning, business development, and compelling marketing/sales presentations.
- Set direction for Marketing presentations and Market Research initiatives geared to corporate sponsorship and sponsorship clients and ad agencies.
- Bring fresh thinking to the creative packaging, positioning, and pricing of integrated programs that allow marketers to reach NYPR’s influential audience.
- Play a hands-on high-level role to build key existing relationships and close new business.
- Develop close internal working relationships with the Programming/Content team in order to position current and new programs and products effectively and identify creative opportunities for mutual collaboration.
- Collaborate with the SVP, Development to identify and partner on high-level opportunities with major corporate accounts and their foundations. Seek out creative ways to maximize impact for key clients by positioning NYPR as a leader in extending the impact of philanthropic donors through media sponsorships, and vice versa.
- Provide professional mentoring, coaching, and leadership to the corporate sponsorship managers and team. Foster and maintain a high-energy, culturally competent, collaborative culture that motivates strong performance and team spirit. Recruit and develop talent.
- Provide informed input to CEO, CFO, and senior executive team on media-related resource and investment decisions based related to:
- The adoption and delivery of ad technologies and delivery systems, measurement and reporting systems, data collection practices, and effectiveness research.
- Packaging and positioning expertise in delivering multi-media proposals.
- Digital and mobile media pricing and revenue projections.
- Assume administrative oversight of forecasts, compensation plans, annual plan development, budget and revenue goal tracking by product and platform; expense; and barter policies and practices.
- Oversee traffic, inventory, measurement, and reporting systems.
- Provide strategic oversight to NYPR’s partner relations within the broader media community (American Public Media, NPR, PRI, etc.) as they relate to collaboration and coordination of local and national media sponsorship sales efforts.
- Broad knowledge of the buying and selling of media to marketers and agencies, across multiple platforms. Familiarity with both transactional and consultative selling techniques, and knowledge of when/how to use both as needed to close revenue.
- Success in evangelizing and driving forward a revenue agenda for a multi-product, multi-platform media business.
- Experience in and commitment to building diverse and inclusive teams.
- A foundation in audio, including local broadcast and podcasting, as well as digital display, is a plus.
- Expertise in a wide-cross section of companies who serve a broad demographic
- The stature and confidence to effectively represent NYPR and build relationships with high-level clients, decision-makers, and external stakeholders.
- Excellent follow-through, prioritization, and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (written and spoken).
- Success with the hands-on management of mid-sized media sales teams, with revenue budget responsibility in the $20M - $30M range.
- Affinity for NYPR’s programming. Interest in news, arts and culture, public affairs, and the global community. Strong intellect and curiosity quotient. Innovative thinker and problem-solver.
- Open-minded and willing to embrace diverse opinions and perspectives.
- Excellent team collaboration and people management skills.
- High-integrity personal character and professional work ethic.