Manager, Audience Development
New York Public Radio seeks an experienced, enterprising audience development manager to join the growing audience and marketing team. This role will focus on audience growth across the New York Public Radio portfolio, including the robust catalog of shows produced by WNYC Studios (which contains both critically-acclaimed and popular podcasts, such as Radiolab, On The Media, The New Yorker Radio Hour, and Death, Sex & Money). The role will also find and grow audiences for shows within the newly-launched podcast portfolio from WQXR, the most listened-to classical radio station in America (including Aria Code, Every Voice with Terrance McKnight, Helga, and The Open Ears Project).
The ideal candidate will be a nimble audience development generalist with experience across media subjects, formats and platforms. They will be familiar with the work of reaching audiences across digital spaces and building engagement and loyalty with target audiences. They will possess strong knowledge of the entire digital marketing ecosystem, with demonstrable knowledge of how to strategize, plan, execute and report on audience development initiatives. They’ll be a data-informed thinker and planner, with an organic interest in understanding audience behavior through numbers and telling stories with data that help stakeholders make the best possible decisions. Collaboration and solutions-oriented thinking will be central to their execution of audience development and marketing plans.
This role reports to the Director of Audience Development, and will work closely with the VP, Audience Development and Engagement as well as additional colleagues across the organization (including content creators) on audience development, creative, and digital distribution focused on growing and engaging audiences for NYPR.
- Partner with audience leadership and stakeholders across New York Public Radio to cultivate listeners for WNYC and WQXR programming across broadcast and digital platforms.
- Support audience goals and KPIs for audience reach, engagement and loyalty across the organization.
- Execute and iterate plans to launch and grow audiences for new and existing offerings (including podcasts, broadcast, and digital content) driving awareness, discovery, and deeper engagement. Plans include development of our O&O platforms, promo trades with other shows and organizations with complementary audiences, partnership development and management, and paid marketing.
- Build paid campaigns to support audience growth and support engagement and revenue goals.
- Conduct regular KPI reporting, socializing complex information to a variety of stakeholders across editorial and leadership teams with clear, actionable insights.
- Collaborate as-needed on brand campaigns for additional NYPR properties (such as Gothamist, The Greene Space, etc).
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of our listeners through outreach, listening, research and other tools.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience
- Affinity for New York Public Radio; WNYC and WQXR content and mission
- Experience growing audiences
- Paid marketing experience
- Experience providing data analysis and insights in a variety of formats for a variety of stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience building audience development and/or marketing plans for digital platforms
- Spectacular communication skills and habits, with the ability to cultivate and maintain relationships across diverse internal teams and external partners
- A commitment to New York Public Radio’s mission.
- Experience in the audio field, namely broadcast radio, audiobooks, or podcasts
- Experience with analytics platforms such as Podtrac and Tableau
- Interest in and curiosity about classical music and culture generally
This is a full-time role with a salary range of $82,500 - $90,000 per year (plus a full benefits package). Salary offered within this range is determined by skills, experience and organizational pay equity. New York Public Radio offers excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, personal and sick time as well as parental leave.
This role is currently operating in a hybrid capacity, however it can be made fully remote for the right candidate.
If the selected candidate does work in or visit our office, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required unless NYPR has approved a specific religious or medical exemption in advance of the first day of work. At this time, NYPR defines being fully vaccinated as having received two Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccinations or one Johnson and Johnson vaccination.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.