Producer, The Takeaway
Producer, The Takeaway
New York Public Radio is looking for a curious, creative and focused journalist to serve as Producer for the Takeaway, a daily news program with a unique take on the world produced by WNYC and PRX.
Here’s your chance to work on one of the most riveting national daily shows in the industry. Millions of Americans turn to us each week for essential takes on news, politics and the culture happening around them. As our audience continues to grow (along with the current news cycle), we’re expanding our team!
Candidates should have A-grade source-cultivation, follow through, and out of the box story ideation skills. The ability to self-start, pitch story ideas and keep track of fast-moving events in the U.S. and around the world is a must. This position will mainly support the early morning and early afternoon production processes.
- Serve as early morning script writer and editor. Support control room early morning production and booking process.
- Support early afternoon booking and production
- Pitch story ideas that reflect the sound and unique narrative of The Takeaway
- Produce across the top news of the day, with the confidence to deal with those in power and with influence
- Collaborate with a talented team of other journalists, with an eye toward producing high-quality journalism
- Respond quickly during breaking news
- Prepare scripts and other content for broadcast and digital
- Effectively manage multiple tasks, stories and the demands of daily news
- Experience at working a beat area of coverage, including cultivating an impressive contact list of news makers
- Ability to manage all aspects of radio production
- Oversee research, recording and production
- Work on other special projects
- At least 5 years’ broadcast experience, preferably in live radio
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred, but not required
- Experience in editing audio
- Proven track record meeting objectives under deadline pressure
- Strong writing skills; editor's eye for prepping content and shaping copy for hosts
- Demonstrated excellence in news writing and copy-editing, especially on deadline
- Strong understanding of journalistic ethics
- Experience with digital, social and multimedia production
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, including hosts
- Experience booking and writing briefs on newsmakers
This full-time role requires the ability to work varied shifts, including sometimes nights and weekends and the ability to travel as needed.
New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, personal and sick time as well as generous parental leave.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic this role is operating in a remote capacity, however, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff, and may be expected to work from the New York office when it is safe to do so.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.