Senior Producer, The Takeaway
Senior Producer, The Takeaway
New York Public Radio is looking for an ambitious, energetic journalist and a thoughtful, experienced manager to help lead its daily national news and conversation show, The Takeaway. Regularly producing segments and managing stories, the Senior Producer oversees the show’s day-to-day production, including show development, scripting, guest booking, and audio production, while maintaining the show’s high editorial standards. In addition, the Senior Producer regularly produces segments and supervises 3 associate producers and the show’s intern(s).
Working closely with the Host / Managing Editor, the Executive Producer, and other senior staff, the Senior Producer supports both overall editorial/ strategic direction and guide day-to-day content production to produce high impact, distinct content across broadcast and digital platforms.
The successful candidate has stellar journalistic judgment, a deep understanding of the editorial and production needs of a daily broadcast, is an experienced audio journalist with strong narrative and writing skills, has a reservoir of exciting ideas, is enthusiastic about daily production, and has the strong communication skills needed to help inspire and lead a diverse, talented team.
- Coordinating with the show’s producing team, its morning production team, and its host to ensure that all elements of the show are in place, including scripts, taped segments and promos.
- Editing the day’s scripts and reviewing tape for quality control and flow
- Managing 3-4 production staff, providing overall coaching, feedback, and development and helping to maintain our team culture of excellence, inclusion, and accountability.
- Coordinating producer schedules and needed backfill to ensure that the show always has adequate day-to-day coverage.
- Partnering with the Executive Producer, Host / Managing Editor, and other senior staff to set and meet long-term editorial, operational, and audience goals.
- Supporting the development of a diverse and inclusive producing team by recruiting, hiring, onboarding and retaining the talent needed in key production roles to execute on the show’s vision.
- Participating as a leader at both WNYC and WNYC Studios in org-wide editorial, operational, and cultural initiatives.
The Senior Producer shares responsibility for:
- Developing short and long term plans for stories, segments, and guests.
- Soliciting pitches and perspectives from team members.
- Maintaining high editorial standards and alignment between the show’s producers and its host through ongoing communication and clear feedback
- At least 5 years of experience producing high quality journalism for a broadcast news show.
- Previous management experience .
- Demonstrated success in daily journalism.
- Experience producing journalism that engages audiences on multiple platforms.
- Working knowledge of standard broadcast values and production protocols.
- A love of daily new challenges, and the ability to thrive in a quickly-changing environment.
- An understanding of and dedication to the values of public media.
- An understanding of the national media environment.
- The ability to make challenging journalistic decisions quickly.
- A dedication to the complex, important work of finding truth and the humility and discipline to do it well.
- A desire to identify and solve problems or grasp opportunities proactively.
- A love of collaborative work, and the ability to collaborate productively with people of diverse backgrounds and expertise.
- An understanding of, and dedication to, the hard work of people and systems management.
This is a full-time exempt role with a salary of $103,500-$107,500 plus a full benefits package. Compensation offered within this range is determined by skills, experience and organizational pay equity. New York Public Radio offers excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, personal and sick time as well as parental leave.
This role is currently a hybrid role, with the expectation that the Senior Producer will work at least 1-2 days a week from our offices in New York. At some point in the future, this role may return to being full-time in the office. Interested applicants who are concerned about working full-time in person should apply regardless and raise their concerns with our team
Given this role will be in the office/studios, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required unless NYPR has approved a specific religious or medical exemption in advance of the first day of work. At this time, NYPR defines being fully vaccinated as having received two Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccinations or one Johnson and Johnson vaccination.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state, or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
About The Takeaway
Carried on more than 275 public radio stations across the country and listened to by thousands more on digital platforms, The Takeaway offers a unique perspective on news, politics, culture, and society. The Takeaway seeks to serve the broad diversity of America with empathy, rigor, and joy. If you are passionate about public media, the show and its mission, and the organization’s approach to journalism resonates with you, we want to hear from you!