Associate Producer, The Takeaway
Associate Producer, The Takeaway
New York Public Radio is looking for a curious, creative and focused journalist to serve as Associate Producer for the Takeaway, a daily news program with a unique take on the world produced by WNYC and PRX.
Here’s your chance to work on one of the most riveting national daily shows in the industry. Millions of Americans turn to us each week for essential takes on news, politics and the culture happening around them. As our audience continues to grow, we’re expanding our team!
The Associate Producer position works in seamless collaboration with the host, managers and editors on daily content as well as longer-term initiatives for The Takeaway radio program and podcast. Candidates should have follow through, and out of the box story ideation skills. The ability to self-start, pitch story ideas and keep track of fast-moving events in the U.S. and around the world.
- Initiates, plans and produces program material for that day’s show/podcast and for future shows/podcasts, under supervision
- Edits tape and related continuity, with editorial assistance
- Consistently generates timely and well thought-out story/interview ideas, books guests and compiles host prep
- Writes accurate and sharp news and program copy, and other production copy with editorial supervision
- Contributes to digital and social media content
- Show directing and backup line producing as needed
- Support the host on and off the air including having regular check-ins with them
- At least 3 years of radio, TV or digital production experience including experience on broadcast digital audio workstations
- Demonstrated excellence in news writing and copy-editing, especially on deadline
- Strong understanding of journalistic ethics
- Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
- Demonstrated ability to assimilate and organize large amounts of information
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, including hosts
- Ability to manage complexity and close the loop on communication with collaborators
- Experience with digital, and multimedia production.
- Experience booking and writing briefs on newsmakers
- Demonstrated understanding of, and familiarity with, social media platforms
This is a full-time role which includes benefits. New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, and paid time off benefits including vacation, sick and parental leave.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic this role is currently operating in a remote capacity. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff, and may be expected to work fully from the New York office when it is safe to do so.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between New York Public Radio and SAG-AFTRA.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.