Producer, The Experiment
Producer, The Experiment
WNYC seeks a highly skilled and collaborative producer to join the team for The Experiment. The person we have in mind cares deeply about making work that combines great storytelling and big ideas and has an interest in making feature-length journalism that helps listeners navigate a complex world. The role involves story ideation and development, reporting on the phone and in the field, creative and ruthless booking, nimble tape cutting, collaborative scripting, and detailed administrative tasks. You should have comfort working with hosts, writers, reporters, and other producers in a highly collaborative production team, and also an ability to report and write independently. You will feel comfortable working under intense deadline pressure.
The successful candidate will be passionate, curious, and informed about a wide range of topics, an exceptional writer, a skilled communicator, and savvy in the use of digital media.
- Perform soup-to-nuts production tasks, including identifying and pre interviewing sources, conducting taped interviews for air, researching topics, booking, prepping host, writing scripts, researching and fact-checking, cutting, and editing tape, including host tracks and interview tape.
- Work with reporters and writers to shape stories and adapt writing to audio.
- Communicate consistently and clearly with other members of the team.
- Manage administrative tasks as needed, including writing and populating content for website and social.
- At least 5 years of experience producing narrative or reported content
- Experience with booking, pre-interviewing, tape cutting, story development, script writing and host collaboration
- Experience with audio editing and sound design
- Top-notch organizational skills, attention to detail, deadlines, and time-management
- Demonstrated success in the creation of superb content under pressure
- An independent work ethic combined with a love for and patience with the collaborative process
This is a full-time role that includes benefits. New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, and paid time off benefits including vacation, personal, sick time and parental leave.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic this role is currently operating in a remote capacity. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff, and may be expected to work fully from the New York office when it is safe to do so.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.