Senior Broadcast Engineer
Senior Broadcast Engineer
New York Public Radio, home to WNYC, WQXR, WNYC Studios, and The Greene Space, is seeking a Senior Broadcast Engineer for our Programming Department. The Senior Broadcast Engineer will assist newsroom staff with long and short form audio features.The successful candidate will have a good sense of the New York Public Radio sound, some knowledge of New York Public Radio programs, superior attention to detail, and a background in audio production. The position requires excellent people skills as much of the job will require interfacing with content producers at NYPR.
This position reports to the Technical Director, WNYC News.
- Record live interviews with both in studio and remote guests using AoIP or phone hybrids
- Operate Pro Tools at an expert, facile level
- Gather and edit actualities and ambient recordings
- Clean up poor audio using iZotope RX
- Score audio features using production music libraries and commissioned music cues
- Coach hosts and reporters in narrative vocal delivery
- Participate in content editing meetings and listening sessions
- Manage and archive audio assets and session files
- Multitrack field recording with wired and wireless microphones
- Assist reporters and producers with live remote broadcasts
- Troubleshoot broadcast applications and hardware
- Train editors and reporters on best practices of recording techniques, file organization and multi-platform remote recording programs like Riverside.fm and ipDTL
- Provide disaster recovery support
- At least 5 years of experience in radio and audio production
- Familiarity with the sound of New York Public Radio or public radio generally
- Fluency in audio editing, knowledge of live on-air board protocols and other systems for broadcast/digital delivery of audio
- Experience using ISDN, AoIP or phone hybrids
- Expertise with Pro Tools, IZotope RX, Zoom recorders, sound devices
- Familiarity with the broadcast bundle of Waves plug-ins
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills and concepts as necessary
- Ability to work within a highly collaborative team in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple priorities, follow through to completion and meeting deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
This is a full-time role which includes benefits. New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, personal and sick time as well as generous parental leave.
Due to the nature of this role, in-person work at our office is required. All facilities are cleaned often, our ventilation system is fully compliant with COVID safety standards, and being fully vaccinated against COVID and mask wearing is required. Our team has worked very hard to make this a safe environment for those whose job duties require them to be onsite.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between New York Public Radio and SAG-AFTRA.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At New York Public Radio diversity, equity, and inclusion is more than a strategy or an initiative; it is an organizational mindset that is reinforced every day. Ultimately, we strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and pursue inclusive strategies to support and encourage them and create a more engaged, committed, and productive workforce. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are especially important to us as a media organization because a diverse workforce allows us to report with perspective and insight, and deliver a variety of content reflecting the diverse population we serve in New York City and beyond. We believe that diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an inclusive workplace in which all voices are encouraged and heard is a core part of our values as an organization.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.