VP of Digital Technology
VP of Digital Technology
New York Public Radio (NYPR) seeks a VP of Digital technology with proven skills as a team leader, software engineer, and systems architect to mentor and guide our dedicated staff of developers, technical architects, and QA/DevOps engineers. The ideal candidate will have a passion for advancing public media by empowering storytelling and building bonds between communities through ethical and inspired technology. This role is responsible for the oversight and technical direction of the digital technology team and their work developing and maintaining NYPR’s digital applications, services, systems, and infrastructure including web sites, apps, content management, digital fundraising, data, content delivery systems, and emerging platforms across our many brands including WNYC, WQXR, Gothamist, Radiolab, and WNYC Studios.
- Plan, architect, and build a scalable and robust systems architecture
- Hire, manage, motivate, and grow a team of engineers, QA/QE, NetOps, DevOps, and other necessary staff – providing vision, mentorship, oversight, and goals
- Responsible for 1+ year, 6 months, 90 days, and 30-day technical roadmaps
- Create technical specifications and requirements
- Take a hands-on role in the design, development, deployment, and maintenance of software on an as-needed basis.
- Understand, identify, and evaluate the best partners and vendors in our space. Work with cross-functional teams to connect our vision with those partners
- Develop proposals, RFPs, and presentations
- Manage stakeholder communications. Set and continually manage expectations.
- Collaborate with peers on roadmap planning, SDLC, team structures, and process planning
- Define and model a culture of excellence, inclusivity, and iterative development
- Think big while paying attention to details
- Collaborative, open, and able to have “strong opinions that are weakly held”
- Ability to balance technical vision with business needs
- Self-learning and desire to keep up-to-date in new technologies, services, industry trends, and methodologies
- Desire and ability to discuss technical concepts with non-technical people
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Strong quantitative and analytical abilities. Uses data to drive decisions.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a willingness to take risks and move into uncharted territory
- Ability to organize and motivate large cross-functional teams – able to manage conflicting interests and drive to solutions
- Passion for public media, local news, podcasts, and audio
- A tactical problem-solver ready to get in the weeds when necessary
- 6+ years of engineering leadership experience, with a proven track record designing and executing large scale, complex platforms with high availability.
- S. degree or higher in computer science, engineering, or related technical field
- Demonstrated ability to attract top talent and building high performing teams
- Experience in the following domains highly desirable: SaaS, media, digital audio/video, and BI/analytics
- Ability to clearly communicate and lead discussions around strategy, architecture, and engineering principles
- Deep proficiency with modern software engineering languages and frameworks
- Technical adeptness across the full stack
- Strong experience in agile and test-driven methodologies
- Deep understanding of digital media – including consumption methods, partners, technology, and platforms.
- Superior written and oral communication skills