Per Diem Associate Producer, The Takeaway
New York Public Radio's mission is to make the mind more curious, the heart more open and the soul more joyful through excellent audio programming that is deeply rooted in New York.
The Takeaway is an award-winning, multi-platform news program co-produced by WNYC Radio and Public Radio International (PRI). It airs nationally across the United States with an audience of 2.7 million listeners. It is a dynamic, highly produced, daily news show with aspirations to change the public radio landscape, bridge the deep divides in American society and bring to light stories that otherwise go uncovered.
The program reflects & re-acts to the passions and concerns of its audience. It is committed to upholding the highest standards of radio & online journalism.
We are looking to add to a passionate journalist and producer to our talented team of award winning producers. Candidates should have proven broadcast and source-building skills, the ability to self-start, pitch story ideas and keep across fast moving events in the U.S. and around the world.
The Takeaway provides intelligent and informed conversation to a national audience. You will be part a creative and dedicated team that delivers insight & analysis throughout the week to an audience well over a million and heard on more than 250 stations across the country.
The Associate Producer will be working with the production team in New York and be part of a national news operation focused on investigative journalism and in-depth analysis on the issues often skipped over by cable TV and other US networks. The ideal candidate will be plugged into local, national and regional politics and current affairs. Their cultural radar should be finely tuned.
- Produce across the top news of the day and dealing with those in power & influence
- Respond quickly during breaking news
- Prepare scripts and digital content for broadcast and on-line
- Effectively manage multiple tasks, stories and the demands of daily news
- Have up to date personal and professional contacts, including reporters and newsmakers
- Responsible for all aspects of radio production
- Oversee research, recording, cutting, producing and reporting
- Ability to work extended hours as necessary and able to travel
- Comply with all NYPR and show policies and guidelines
- Work on other special projects and other duties as assigned
- At least three years’ broadcast experience, preferably in live radio Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
- Audio editing experience required; Cool Edit/Audacity, Easy Track and/or DAVID experience, ProTools, Audition, Ableton, others accepted
- Proven track record meeting objectives under deadline pressure
- Fearless pursuit of top news stories
- Experience editing audio for air
- Strong writing skills; editor's eye for prepping content and shaping copy for hosts
- This position requires use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast equipment; ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods
- Requires the intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively and/or interact with the other Takeaway staff, executives at NYPR, colleagues, vendors and guests as needed
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between New York Public Radio and SAG-AFTRA.
Please submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume. New York Public Radio must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy. New York Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.