Legal Counsel, Commercial
We are looking for a legal counsel to partner with our whip-smart, collaborative legal team and focus on handling inbound commercial transactions. You will have an immediate impact and have a voice that is heard and respected, while encouraged to grow in your abilities and curate your own career path. An enthusiastic, experienced Counsel with a background in technology transactions and experience in Procurement and Strategic Sourcing would be the perfect addition to our dynamic and growing team. If this is you, read on!
In this role, you will work on a globally dispersed team to support New Relic's inbound commercial activities by structuring, negotiating, and closing contracts. This role requires excellent communication skills to interact with both internal departments and external business clients while addressing complex issues in an accurate, clear, and thorough manner. This role is a phenomenal opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills, and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with the opportunity to touch many different areas of the business.
What You’ll Do
- Negotiate inbound SaaS contracts and other commercial agreements on behalf of our business. Anticipate problems and ensure all vital commercial legal key terms and language are included in inbound contracts to appropriately mitigate risk for New Relic.
- Partner with Procurement and Legal teams to recommend, develop, and continuously improve standard methodologies and procedures for a consistent, compliant, and efficient inbound contracting process. This includes playbooks, company standard form agreements, and systems automation across contract lifecycles.
- Support and coach contracts managers on deal structure and contract negotiations and be the central point of contact for new and updated agreements.
- Serve as a trusted advisor and business partner by building relationships with, providing counsel and guidance to internal partners to accomplish the company's overall business objectives.
- Resolve contract issues efficiently to move contracts forward to execution within the Vendor Management Organization (VMO).
- Support legal engagement process for inbound/expense side agreements, including general inquiries and requests for inbound legal contract support.
- Perform contract analysis and build department reporting.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, supply chain management, or related subject area; JD required.
- 7+ years of full-time experience in corporate contracting for procurement or strategic sourcing within a technology company and with a clear understanding of contract framework and lifecycle, hierarchy, technical terms and conditions, pricing models, and the fundamentals of contracting.
- 7+ years’ experience with CLM systems (e.g. Oracle Contracts, Coupa, Apptus, iCertis, Spring).
- Proven business sense and solutions-focused, focused on simplicity and efficient resolution when solving complex issues.
- Excellent, clear, concise and timely communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Legal background and experience required with software both on-prem and hosted, including cloud-based subscriptions, SaaS, IaaS, PaaS, IT, technology, and engineering.
- Ability to interpret and utilize key financial data in negotiations.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with business partners and gain confidence.
- Strong multitasking capabilities and project management skills.
- Highly organized, have close attention to detail, and be a keen problem solver.
- Good sense of humor, ability to handle stressful situations when working under time constraints.
- Knowledge of data security and data privacy terms is highly preferred.
- Advanced level proficiency with MS Office: Excel, PowerPoint, and Word and G-Suite.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.