Frontend Architect - FSO Experience (open to remote)
We are looking for an experienced software engineer and technical leader to join our architecture team. The members of this team work closely with engineering teams and leadership to provide architectural expertise, design mentorship and to improve visibility into cross-team technical issues.
If you’re ready for this job, you’ve spent years designing and building high-availability, high-scale, production systems and have plenty of front-line experience in the past, but now you’re more interested in how scalable systems work together than in optimizing that routine. You’ve made mistakes (probably lots of them) learned from them and have been a part of phenomenal successes.
Being an Architect at New Relic
At many companies, the Architects are gatekeepers and enforcers. They’re the people who tell you that the project violates the hosting policy or that you really shouldn’t design system to generate and capture an HTTP request for every customer page load - but its not our style here, we do things differently!
We expect a leader, not a gatekeeper. Sure, sometimes a leader has to say no, but that isn’t really the heart of the job. A leader should lead and paint the vision of where we’re going and make sure that everyone has what they need to get there. We hire awesome engineers. Help them see into the future, make decisions that support each-other and avoid mistakes that will be expensive to fix later, then those awesome engineers can deliver outstanding results.
We also expect our Architects to be strong stakeholders for our most technical product developments, working closely with their partners from Product Management and Design. It is only by finding the right balance between technology, market and experience that we’ll deliver the right thing.
How the playground will look like
- A micro-frontend platform architecture, composed of dozens of pieces that interact together.
- A constantly evolving architecture, with hundreds of services across 60+ agile teams.
- A hybrid data centre/cloud environment accepting over 50 billion HTTP requests a day from our customers and scanning more than 150 billion data points each minute.
- JS, React, CSS, Webpack, Java, Ruby... and that’s just the beginning of the technology in our stack.
What You’ll Do
- Building innovative experiences to explore our customers’ full-stack telemetry data and improving some of the existing individual experiences (mainly New Relic Infrastructure). In the process, we have to ensure technologies and experiences are compatible with every step.
- Globally distributed development organization with teams spanning a ten nine-hour swath of timezones. The only way to keep all those teams in sync is to document as much as we can. Therefore, you need to bring expertise in written communications.
- Working and interact closely with the platform teams (across CET and PST time zones) who are in charge of developing the UI SDK and tooling used to enable the company building products quickly and easily but also act as a binding between product and platform by working in cross-functional initiatives.
- Partnering with one of our Directors of Engineering where you will help them formulate their technical roadmap and assist their teams. To succeed, you will need to rapidly learn and master the technologies and architecture of the systems in the group!
- Every week our engineers face new and exciting challenges. Because we’re always pushing the boundaries on the scale, many of these are things we’ve never seen before. However, that doesn’t mean they’ve never been seen anywhere else before. help the organization learn from the rest of the world.
- 5+ years of technical leadership with top-level engineering teams
- Experience building and operating sophisticated UI/UX
- Deep knowledge on browsers, both at their API level and their internals (JS engines; browser performance - reflow, repaint, GPU vs CPU; Service Workers; CDNs; HTTP protocol; etc.).
- Good knowledge of algorithms, data structures and ability to debug large scale codebases using the available tools.
- Collaborative and able to influence across the organization.
- An advanced degree (MS or PhD) in a STEM field
- Full-stack knowledge of systems fundamentals
- Published papers or presentations demonstrating written communication skill
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We're looking for bold and passionate people to be a part of our mission to create more perfect software. We'd love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement. What's most important to us is finding authentic and accountable people who feel connected to our mission and values, not just candidates who check off all the boxes.
We believe in empowering all Relics to achieve professional, and business success through a workforce model called Flex First. The Flex First model allows us to work in a variety of workplaces that best support our success, including fully office-based, fully remote, or a combination of both.
Read more about Flex First and New Relic’s vaccine policy as part of our commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.