React Native Technical Lead Engineer (Open to Remote)
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We are excited to consider a remote engineer for this role in the Pacific Standard Time zone. If you are not in the PST zone you must be willing to work within our core hours. Remote team members will work out of their home office and should have successfully worked remotely in the past.
The Mobile Instrumentation team at New Relic builds instrumentation libraries that mobile developers use to better observe the apps they create. We’re mobile developers, but we don’t build apps. Instead, we’re experts in mobile language and technology ecosystems. We use this knowledge to build tools and SDKs that instrument mobile applications. Our products send telemetry and mobile data back to New Relic to be enhanced, analyzed and visualized to help app developers troubleshoot their apps, be alerted to errors, and improve performance.
We need your help to develop new hybrid framework products built to enable observability within cross platform environments like React Native and Flutter. You’ll help architect and build these new offerings from the ground up and launch them into the market. And everything you develop will be released as Open Source. We’re starting with React Native!
What You’ll Do
Join us in building a new generation of mobile observability offerings! Our products will be built using open standards wherever possible. You’ll build tools mobile developers will rely on and create efficient protocols and networking capabilities to communicate telemetry to ingest backends so it can be quickly processed and acted upon by our users.
In your first month, you will:
- Understand your team’s workflows, constraints, roles, ceremonies, purpose, and needs from the business.
- Familiarize yourself with your team's existing XCFramework and Android agent SDKs.
- Establish rapport with your teammates and language instrumentation engineers.
- Begin shaping a plan and identify dependencies for a React Native solution.
- Participate in interviewing your future teammates as we grow the team.
In your first three months, you will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of how your team fits into the larger organization and work closely with peers, solutions architects and product management.
- Begin mentoring engineers on your team and support their technical development in React Native concepts.
- Participate in internal and external customer interviews to better understand the fundamental problems we’ll solve with these new products to inform your architectural decisions and ultimate product direction.
- Lead the design and development of a new React Native offering.
In your first six months, you will:
- Add to the strategy and vision for your team by identifying and planning work based on your understanding of customer needs.
- Identify and work on areas to further your career by growing as an engineer, a leader, and a person.
- Find and act on opportunities to have an impact beyond your team, likely within the OpenTelemetry community helping move forward specifications and implementation within the mobile space.
- Ship a React Native offering and start balancing operational needs with new feature development.
- 5+ years of mobile software engineering experience building, shipping, and monitoring apps deployed at scale in both iOS (Objective-C preferred) and Android (Kotlin preferred), using the latest standard development environments
- 2+ years of recent experience mobile development using cross platform hybrid frameworks such as React Native, Flutter, Xamarin, Cordova or the like
- Solid understanding of mobile build, packaging and dependency management systems such as Gradle and CocoaPods
- Strong experience designing and leveraging APIs
- Experience using commercial or open source tools and services to monitor the behavior and operation of mobile apps
- An aptitude to learn new technologies swiftly and “just in time”
Nice to Have:
- Previous use of, or interest in mobile monitoring tools such as Firebase Performance Monitoring or Cloudflare Mobile SDK
- Experience with or interest in contributing to and managing Open Source projects, specifically OpenTelemetry, or other open observability APIs and standards
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.