Open Source Senior Software Engineer: PHP and C Agents Team (Remote)
New Relic’s goal is to instrument, measure and improve the Internet to help our customers create more perfect software, experiences, and businesses. We enable every engineer in the world to gather complete telemetry about their digital systems by developing our products and roadmaps in the open, seeking community feedback and contributions on our designs and solutions.
Our Open Source code runs inside hundreds of thousands of distributed customer applications. Two of our values are Passionate and Connected, and these values show up in everything we do, including our Open Source contributions!
We are excited to consider a remote engineer for this role. If you are not in the PST zone you must be willing to work within our normal business hours. Remote team members will be expected to work out of their home office in San Francisco, Austin, Salt Lake, Seattle, and Colorado and must have successfully worked remotely in their current or past position.
You will be at the heart of New Relic’s best-in-class APM solution, leading our Open Source PHP & C projects. Engaging the community to shape direction and drive innovation, your contributions to our lightweight and resilient data collection software [https://github.com/newrelic/c-sdk] will directly shape our future.
What You'll Do
- Write efficient C. Customers run our code in their production systems, which means you write, build and run a comprehensive test suite to make sure each release is extensively tested and dependable.
- You thrive balancing multiple in-flight workstreams while influencing outcomes in our Open Source communities. You collaborate with internal and external teams to provide technical leadership for new feature development through creation and review of multi-language feature specifications, architecture and documentation.
- Curate a home for contributors on our Open Source projects. You lead through influence and cultivate an ecosystem for experimental thinking, discussion and constructive debate.
- Make proactive recommendations on product direction and architecture, informed by your understanding of emerging projects and standards.
- Help iterate on our processes, practices, and culture as we grow through active collaboration with those around you. We practice pairing to share information, ensure quality, and grow our expertise.
- Support our agents. You participate in rotations assisting our dedicated support team to help customers solve issues and get the most of the agent.
- C expertise: You write portable, efficient and readable C code.
- Work effectively in ambiguity, but also seek to minimize the unknown by utilizing standard methodologies, meta-work skills (project management, communication, work estimation) and well-reasoned opinions.
- Enthusiasm for sharing knowledge, and a growth mentality that encourages teammates to seek you out as a mentor. You actively mentor other engineers to facilitate mutual growth.
- You excel in tailoring written and verbal communication to context effectively, and succinctly convey complex technical concepts to a range of audiences. This team writes proposals, specs, and retrospectives. You give talks and demo our work.
- You accept a high degree of autonomy while proactively keeping partners informed.
- Invested in the “Second Job”: Our “first job” is the job we were hired for (all of the above). Our “second job” is helping those around us to succeed at their jobs. Balancing our first and second jobs makes us smarter, more effective, and happier.
- PHP and Go development experience.
- Experience contributing to Open Source projects
- Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Who Should Apply
We value teams with varied strengths, with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. If this seems like your dream job, but you're not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We'll carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply for this specific position.
When you apply, be sure to include a cover letter telling us what interests you about this position and why you think it would be a good fit. Cover letters matter to us — we really read them.
Please note, this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.