Developer Relations Engineer
We level up developers through education and enablement; we’re here to get developers excited about software and to support them and their communities in achieving their goals. We build in front of the world; we're creative, and we adopt that energy to produce and share ambitious inspirational projects with deep technical roots. By sharing authentic, engaging content with our communities we're able to join in the conversations that matter to them and bring their stories home to help New Relic build better products. Those same discussions give us a chance to use our product expertise to make developer's lives better, by helping them understand the value of observability and how they can effectively apply it in their own projects.
“When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning. When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine.” - Pablo Picasso
We're developers and we love to code. We code so that we can speak from practical experience and join the global conversation. You're going to be happiest on this team if you've lived the pain of pager duty and know the joy that comes from an amazing green test suite.
We're storytellers. We excite, engage, and empower our peers with stories of our own triumphs and failures in building. We're looking for compatriots with experience following their curiosity down the rabbit hole and bubbling back to the surface with treasure.
We're active members of our communities. We coordinate meetups, attend conferences, and help developers realize their collective strength. Collaborative personalities can expect to thrive here.
We value unique perspectives, and we absolutely encourage applications with backgrounds and identities that add to our spectrum of experience.
Given the nature of the work, this is a remote position, but you'll of course have the option to work from one of our many offices when it's convenient. We're a results-oriented team, so our hours offer some flexibility. Assuming you're able to work with some portion of your day overlapping US time zones, we're prepared to hire a great candidate, remotely.
What You’ll Do
- Coding: spend half of your time chipping into self-selected open source software that's directly relevant to your community, and building internal tooling to automate our workflows when the mood strikes.
- Presenting: speak at conferences, live stream, host podcasts and write articles about whatever technology you're excited about - build a robot, instrument your pets, add voice control to your deployment pipeline or describe your research on language internals. You'll have near-total autonomy to present projects based on your own interests and your understanding of what appeals to developers on your personal accounts. Collaborating: you'll autonomously seek out internal opportunities to advise product, marketing, and engineering teams on how best to engage your specific language community.
- Teaching: share your research with peers and colleagues in accessible audience-specific content across different mediums.
- Traveling: join the conversation by literally meeting developers where they are and exploring their cultures. As conditions permit, you could be spending as much as 25% of your year traveling the world.
- 1-2 years of professional developer relations or community engagement experience.
- Experience with and confidence in delivering technical content in public forums.
- Verbal and written fluency in the English language.
- Experience streaming on Twitch
- Community leadership experience
- Multiple languages, software and human
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We're looking for bold and passionate people to be a part of our mission to create more perfect software. We'd love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement. What's most important to us is finding authentic and accountable people who feel connected to our mission and values, not just candidates who check off all the boxes.
We believe in empowering all Relics to achieve professional, and business success through a workforce model called Flex First. The Flex First model allows us to work in a variety of workplaces that best support our success, including fully office-based, fully remote, or a combination of both.
Read more about Flex First and New Relic’s vaccine policy as part of our commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based observability platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.