Senior Software Engineer - Ruby/Rails (API Evolution)
The API Evolution team at New Relic is on an epic quest to build out a next-generation set of services and APIs that will power our product into the future while enabling innovation with our customers and partners.
Our team is a fantastic place to grow as an engineer. We have smart, supportive teammates, a wide product and technical landscape to explore, and an abundance of leadership and technical challenges and opportunities where you can shine. If you're a creative problem solver and looking for a team that has a very high degree of autonomy, this might be the role for you!
Opportunity to work from a remote office may be available depending on applicant location.
Our mission, which could be yours, is to build out an ecosystem of highly performant, and highly scalable future-forward APIs based on our latest and greatest standards.
Key elements of being future-forward include placing a great degree on attention to detail around security, New Relic level scalability, reliability, and operational resilience.
These APIs will power the core New Relic One product experience, while also being exposed to customers, so that they can activate the full power of the platform.
What You’ll Do
- Deeply understand our customers, who are developers like you.
- Develop a mastery of our platform.
- Engineer well-designed and highly scalable and resilient solutions.
- Contribute to the team’s customer impact by building thoughtful, high-quality code that is easy to read and maintain.
- Periodically lead projects from start to finish.
- Utilize and leverage Agile practices to deliver value early and often.
- Generate and propose innovative product potential that will deliver value to our customers.
- Increase the impact of one or more team members through mentoring, pairing, and support.
- Join the team’s on-call rotation and provide hero support to internal customers.
- Identify and eliminate technical debt so that we can deliver faster with less complexity.
- Write and share proposals to improve team processes and approaches.
- Use all of the above to deliver joy to our internal developer community and to our customers!
- 3-5 years of professional software development experience.
- Advanced knowledge in backed software engineering (preferably with React), with relatable experiences around building services, and APIs.
- Advanced expertise with Ruby/Rails.
- Working knowledge of databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL/DynamoDB), and caches (Redis/Memcached).
- Familiarity with queue/messaging/streaming platforms (Kafka, Kinesis, SQS, RabbitMQ).
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines.
- 2+ years utilizing Agile development practices, with a deep understanding of its concepts.
- Being comfortable in a fast-paced environment focused on delivering production code at a regular cadence.
- Expertise in software engineering design, concepts, and methodologies.
- Experience working with Git, and workflows around it, such as reviewing PRs and applying best practices to reviews.
- Collaborative working style and excellent communication skills.
- High level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Experience with Terraform, Ansible, and Kubernetes.
- Comprehensive experience with various AWS native services (ideally around S3, SNS, SQS, EC2).
- Application security.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We're looking for bold and passionate people to be a part of our mission to create more perfect software. We'd love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement. What's most important to us is finding authentic and accountable people who feel connected to our mission and values, not just candidates who check off all the boxes.
We believe in empowering all Relics to achieve professional, and business success through a workforce model called Flex First. The Flex First model allows us to work in a variety of workplaces that best support our success, including fully office-based, fully remote, or a combination of both.
Read more about Flex First and New Relic’s vaccine policy as part of our commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based observability platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.