Senior Manager, Engineering
Senior Manager, Engineering
At New Relic, our mission is to instrument, measure, and improve the internet to help our customers create more perfect software, experiences, and businesses. We love making software that improves the lives of people who make software. Our products help customers answer their most important questions by allowing them to visualize, explore, and understand their ops, application, and customer data.
We’re looking for an experienced leader for our Service Mesh and External Load Balancing Teams. Our teams are responsible for New Relic’s external and internal load balancers and inter-service communication via a service mesh (including routing control, circuit breaker, retries, timeouts, and observability).
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you’ll help the teams migrate from hardware based load-balancers to envoy based software load balancers, deploy Istio based service mesh to bring increased observability, network abstraction and high performance to our ecosystem.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to help push our technology and people processes forward as we start the journey from our data centers to the cloud.
We believe that managers are leader-coaches. The most successful managers here act with drive and urgency, yet always take the time to listen and to do the right thing. They constantly seek new ways to explain, coach, teach, enable, and bring out the best in everyone around them.
Please include a cover letter telling us why you’re interested in this position and why you think we‘ll work well together. We really do read them.
What You’ll Do
- Ensure they have the context, vision, skills and tools they need to ship the right software
- Foster an inclusive environment where everyone will thrive and grow
- Navigate career path planning and orchestrate advancement opportunities
- Plan and execute software development projects within and across teams
- Experiment and iterate on team processes to balance agility and predictability
- Partner with product management to influence team priorities and roadmap
- Collaborate across business functions to shape the solutions we bring to market
You’ll also work with a strong team of peer managers and leadership to improve the craft of management and shape the way New Relic builds and delivers software. To learn more about our management style, check out this series of blog posts: https://blog.newrelic.com/tag/engineering-management/
- 3+ years experience managing highly collaborative, autonomous engineering teams
- 10+ years experience in Software Engineering (Including applicable academic experience)
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Experience in migration from Data Center to Cloud
- Experience with load balancers (internal and external) and service mesh technologies
- Experience leading teams through organizational focus shifts
- Experience with Istio, Ingress/load balancers, Kubernetes
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic provides the real-time insights that software-driven businesses need to innovate faster. Our cloud platform makes every aspect of modern software and infrastructure observable, so companies can find and fix problems faster, build high-performing DevOps teams, and speed up transformation projects. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel welcome, where people can bring their whole selves to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.