Principal Software Engineer/Architect (Remote)
We're looking for an experienced software engineer and technical leader to join our Full Stack Observability Troubleshooting product development group as an architect. New Relic architects work closely with engineering teams and leadership to provide architectural expertise, design mentorship, and transparency into cross-team technical issues.
If you’re ready for this job, you’ve spent years (decades?) designing and building high-availability, high-scale, production systems. You’ve made mistakes (probably lots of them!) and learned from them, but you’ve also been a part of phenomenal successes.
Being an Architect at New Relic
At many companies, the Architects are gatekeepers and enforcers, but that’s not our style here!
We expect our Architects to be leaders, not gatekeepers. Sure, sometimes a leader has to say "no", but that isn’t really the heart of the job. You will paint the vision of where we’re going and make sure that everyone has what they need to get there. If we can help engineers see into the future a bit, make decisions that support each other, and avoid mistakes that will be expensive to fix later, then they can deliver awesome results.
You'll focus on New Relic Full Stack Observability, specifically on solutions that involve proactive monitoring, tracing, and error detection that help developers be successful with daily troubleshooting tasks.
You'll maintain a work-life balance that enables you to thrive by using flex time-off, twelve weeks of paid parental leave, and our DataNerds4Good volunteer time off program.
What Architects Do
- We have a globally distributed development organization with teams spanning a ten-hour swath of timezones. The only way to keep all those teams in sync is to document as much as we can. Therefore, you need to be adept at written communications.
- Sometimes electronic conversations can get a little “spicy”. We'll need you to surface the important issues and drive them to resolution before anyone hits Godwin’s Law.
- You will partner with one of our Directors of Engineering to formulate your group's technical roadmap and assist the teams. To succeed, you will need to rapidly learn and master the technologies and architecture of systems in the group.
- We often find that the difference between elegance and failure is how well we set the boundaries of components in a system. This is true for OOP and it’s true for microservices. You will use your judgment and experience to help teams define those interfaces.
- Because we’re always pushing the boundaries on scale, our engineers often encounter challenges we’ve never seen before. However, that doesn’t mean they’ve never been seen anywhere else before. Your job is to help the organization learn from the rest of the world.
- 10+ years of technical leadership helping engineering teams thrive
- Experience building and operating high-scale distributed systems
- You are collaborative and able to drive cross organization decisions
- Good knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Published papers, presentations, articles or similar technical documents demonstrating written communication skill
- An advanced degree (MS or PhD) in a STEM field
- Full stack knowledge of systems fundamentals
- Experience with Kafka, GraphQL, Java, AWS, Kubernetes or similar systems
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.