Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Are you an experienced Senior Software Engineering Manager with a passion for people management, growing strong teams, and shipping software that delights customers?
We’re searching for a Senior Software Engineering Manager who will help this team reach new heights. The Data Management team is a full-stack software engineering team with the mission of helping customers control costs and understand how data is stored in their New Relic account. They own both customer-facing UIs and a number of backend services. The team works with a variety of technologies including Elixir, Java, React JS, and Apache Kafka.
We believe that managers are leader-coaches. The most successful managers here act with drive and urgency, yet always take the time to listen and to do the right thing. They constantly seek new ways to explain, coach, teach, delegate, and bring out the best in others.
- Large organizational scale (60+ engaged, collaborative and productive engineering teams)
- Employee resource groups to support a diverse workforce
- Communities of practice, connecting engineers with similar technical interests
- 10 weeks of fully paid parental leave covering birth and non-birth parents, adoption and foster placement, plus up to 10 more weeks of full pay for birth parents covering the short term disability period
- Flexible Time Off - use it when you need it
- Opportunity to work on a product that all your technical friends use
What You’ll Do
In this role you will be responsible for people, projects, and processes. You’ll work with your team to:
- Collaborate with product management, design, architects, and engineers to shape the solutions we bring to market
- Plan and execute software development projects within and across teams
- Cultivate the career development of your engineers
- Solve and adapt team processes to help balance responsibilities and deliver the best results possible
You’ll also work with your other team – peer managers and leadership – to improve the craft of management and shape the way New Relic builds and delivers software. To learn more about our management style, check out this series of blog posts: https://blog.newrelic.com/tag/engineering-management/
- Prior experience managing high-performing software engineering teams
- A track record of delivering high-quality software in regular, iterative releases
- Experience with high-throughput streaming services such as Apache Kafka
- Experience with functional programming languages such as Elixir
- Experience working with diverse, highly collaborative software teams
- You are interested in dev-ops and not only like to build services, you are also invested in their operation by monitoring their performance, thinking about capacity planning and quickly addressing incidents when they arise.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.