Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer - Container Fabric
New Relic is looking for a creative, experienced backend senior engineer to join our Container Fabric team. If you want to write the software that manages one of the largest and fastest growing data platforms in the world, we’d love to hear from you.
The Container Fabric team is developing New Relic’s internal cloud computing platform using technologies like Kubernetes, CoreOS, Docker, Istio and AWS and we’re looking for someone with a strong foundation of programming skills who has built complex applications in a team environment. You should have an interest in infrastructure, cloud platform technologies, and automating infrastructure with software, though it's not necessary to be an expert. The existing team members have deep experience in these areas and are excited to share their knowledge with their teammates. We take pride in creating production services for rock-solid reliability, and building great tools that are a joy to use. We work closely as a team, focusing on one project at a time, and conducting (internal) customer interviews to share knowledge and improve code quality.
Being on the Container Fabric Team means working with a group of supportive, talented, and friendly people who share a desire to deliver great service, implement highly reliable systems, automate eagerly, and grow as engineers. If you get a kick out of delighting customers and helping other people, you’ll enjoy this job. If you have an eye for solving complex problems with easy to use tools, have designed solutions and processes, you’ll fit right in.
What You’ll Do
- Cluster Orchestration (Kubernetes, Mesos, Marathon)
- Implementing a REST API to provide access to platform functionality
- Linux System Administration (CoreOS, systemd)
- Provisioning resources in both public and private clouds (terraform)
- Contributing to open source projects
- Linux Containers (Docker)
- Configuration Management (Ansible)
- System profiling and performance tuning (eBPF kernel probes)
- Participating in on-call rotation for the platform services we own
- Solid background in application and system programming using languages like Go, Python, Bash, or Ruby.
- Strong interest in building infrastructure with software
- Five years of experience in development and/or operations
Nice to have:
- Experience with Kubernetes and/or DC/OS
- Cloud platform exposure
- Active participation in open source development
- Troubleshooting in a complex environment
- Networking experience
- API design and development exposure
- Container experience
- Linux system administration
- Focus on customer success (assisting, documenting processes and training)
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic provides the real-time insights that software-driven businesses need to innovate faster. Our cloud platform makes every aspect of modern software and infrastructure observable, so companies can find and fix problems faster, build high-performing DevOps teams, and speed up transformation projects. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel welcome, where people can bring their whole selves to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.