Principal UX Designer - Incubator
This position sits in our beautiful Portland, OR office and relocation assistance may be provided.
At New Relic, we love making tools to help people visualize, explore, and analyze data to answer important questions about the health of their software.
We’re looking for a highly skilled design practitioner to join our Incubator group in Portland. We need your deep expertise to help us identify and explore new product opportunities. The Incubator team works closely with our customers and with software teams across the New Relic portfolio to rapidly concept and develop innovative solutions that expedite time to detect, understand, and resolve performance problems.
As a Principal UX Designer, you’ll partner closely with the Incubator leadership team, as well as other designers, product managers, engineers and leaders to understand, design, measure, and optimize our user journeys. You’ll drive a design vision and lead others in embracing an iterative, user-centered approach to making that vision a reality.
What You’ll Do
Lead by example through an iterative design process
- Lead the definition and execution of design strategy for Incubator projects
- Work thoughtfully and iteratively from ambiguity to action using a solid user-centered design process
- Ensure designs are based on a strong and balanced understanding of user needs and business objectives
- Gracefully communicate design direction with sketches, flows, mockups, prototypes; no matter the challenge, you have honed a method to drive toward the desired outcome
Scale your impact across teams
- Use qualitative and quantitative data and your expert storytelling skills to help executives, leaders, and teams work together to deliver outstanding user experiences and business results
- Mentor and direct the work of more junior designers in the Incubator group, partnering closely with design management to ensure designers are equipped to do their best work
- Partner with leaders to identify and prioritize design, research, and writing needs
Collaborate & set a high bar
- Collaborate effectively every day with leaders and individual contributors in engineering, design, product, language, research, analytics, and more
- Raise the bar for design quality at New Relic by giving and soliciting constructive feedback from peers and stakeholders
- Evolve our design process, practices, and culture as we continue to scale
- Be kind
- 8+ years experience in UX or interaction design and user-centered research methods
- BA/BS in Design, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Psychology, related field, or equivalent experience
- Thrives in an agile, fast-paced environment and leads by example in delivering high-quality work consistently in an iterative manner
- A record of partnering successfully with people up and down an organization to influence portfolio strategy and deliver results
- Deep understanding of how to integrate research, design, language, technical development, and business strategy
- Excellent presenter, communicator and negotiator, with honed storytelling and persuasion skills
- Mastery of modern design and prototyping tools; Sketch, Abstract, Invision, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Online portfolio of exceptional work showcasing your problem-solving skills and process in the digital space
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.