Manager, Software Engineering (open to remote)
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
The Open Source Engineering team is making a strategic hire for an engineering manager. We need a multi-faceted leader who is equally comfortable in both architectural and business conversations as well as proactively maintains a player-coach posture in their engineering leadership. If you're ready to apply your experience as a developer and passion for building teams of self-directed, remote engineers, please apply!
Note that this team is distributed and remote-friendly, including this role.
What You’ll Do
- Helping building tools and processes to deliver a simple, consistent, and open data ingestion experience in New Relic
- Managing issues, projects, pull requests, and tooling to set an example for contributor-centric open source standards
- Participating in hands-on coding and prototyping work to help your team define and refine solutions
- Contributing to strategic decisions among a group of cross-functional peers
- Working alongside product managers and business partners to define, measure, and report objective key results
- Recruiting and developing engineering talent for high-productivity, distributed, full-stack teams
- 3+ yrs. experience leading self-directed, distributed and remote teams
- Capable of exploring and understanding the technical implications and risks of sophisticated decisions
- A career-long, continuing passion for writing code and solving problems
- Experience in backend languages like Java, Ruby, Python or Node.js
- Experience with cloud provider technologies like AWS and Azure
- Experience with CI/CD and automation tools
- Experience managing on-call rotations and dev-ops practices
The most successful managers here act with drive and urgency, yet always take the time to listen and to do the right thing. They constantly seek new ways to explain, mentor, teach, and bring out the best in others.
- Experience with New Relic or other observability tools
- Experience as open source maintainer
- Experience with messaging queuing systems like Kafka or high-throughput data ingestion pipelines
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.