Senior Manager, Software Engineering (open to remote)
We are excited to consider a remote candidate for this role. Remote team members will be encouraged to work out of their home office.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
The Telemetry Data Platform organization at New Relic builds the platforms, products, and foundational services for secure, automated, reliable, and dynamic ingestion and processing of telemetry data. As a Sr Manager of Software Engineering leading our new Azure integration efforts, you’ll define and build a team to support a key part of our multi-cloud strategy!
Being an integral part of almost every line of New Relic business means we have a lot of internal customers, each with their own urgent needs. Balancing these needs while moving forward with our own goals takes finely tuned risk/reward analysis as well as a customer-focused attitude.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader with Azure domain expertise to help define the technical direction and strategy for the next step in building out our multi-cloud vision. This technical leader needs to have a passion for people to build and lead teams, mentor engineers, and collaborate with multiple teams across the product organization.
What You’ll Do
- Help set the initial technical direction while building a strong and forward-thinking team of engineers with the context, vision, skills, and tools they need to succeed
- Lead with a DevOps approach for one of New Relic’s newest environments - we build and maintain our software, systems, and platforms, including taking turns being on-call
- Lead and manage a team of software engineers that work on the migration, performance, and reliability of our services on the Azure platform
- Develop and iterate on processes and practices that keep your team focused and executing efficiently
- Represent the team and New Relic with multiple vendors
- Help define and implement our multi-cloud approach and ensure the success of future migrations to this new environment
- Own the team roadmap, striking a balance between feature-forward work, maintaining reliable services, and paying off technical debt
- Partner closely with architects, fellow engineering leaders, and key decision-makers to set up team priorities and roadmap
- Cultivate an inclusive environment where varied perspectives thrive
What your playground will look like
- A constantly evolving architecture, with hundreds of containerized services across multiple agile teams.
- A hybrid datacenter / cloud environment ingesting 3 billion data points per minute, 150 petabytes of data per month, and accepting over 70 billion HTTP requests a day from our customers.
- Java, Kubernetes, Kafka, Istio, MySQL, Go and that’s just the beginning of the technologies in our stack.
If you are a fit for this job, you have spent years building and supporting large distributed systems in the cloud. You know the Azure platform and can define relevant migration strategies.
- 5+ years of engineering management with prior practical hands-on experience
- Familiarity with operating in Azure
- Prior experience in a technical leadership role leading multiple roadmaps/backlogs
- Understanding of operating distributed data systems at scale
- Experience building and leading distributed teams
- Involvement with operating Tier 1 production services
- Experience mentoring and developing early-career engineers along with seasoned professionals
- Ability to collaborate within your own and across departments
- Familiarity with streaming services at scale
- Experience with deployment automation
- Exposure to cloud transformations and/or hybrid cloud
We're looking for bold and passionate people to be a part of our mission to create more perfect software. We'd love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement. What's most important to us is finding authentic and accountable people who feel connected to our mission and values, not just candidates who check off all the boxes.
We believe in empowering all Relics to achieve professional, and business success through a workforce model called Flex First. The Flex First model allows us to work in a variety of workplaces that best support our success, including fully office-based, fully remote, or a combination of both.
Read more about Flex First and New Relic’s vaccine policy as part of our commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based observability platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.