Director, Software Engineering (Open to Remote)
We are excited to consider a remote candidate for this role. Remote team members will be encouraged to work out of their home office.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
The Telemetry Data Platform organization at New Relic builds the platforms, products, and foundational services for secure, automated, reliable, and dynamic ingestion and processing of telemetry data. As a Director of Software Engineering leading our developer platform group, you’ll help drive the vision to make it easy for New Relic engineers to develop, ship, and operate reliable world-class software, at scale.
What You’ll Do
- Help improve a platform that developers at New Relic can use to create best in class products in the public cloud. Lead the teams that bring together all the pieces of the lifecycle to automate the building, running and decommissioning of cells within our cloud ecosystem in a secure reliable fashion
- Help set the initial technical direction while building a strong and forward-thinking team of engineers with the context, vision, skills, and tools they need to succeed
- Lead with a DevOps approach - we build and maintain our software, systems, and platforms, including taking turns being on-call
- Develop and iterate on processes and practices that keep your team focused and performing efficiently
- Partner closely with architects, product management and fellow engineering leaders to set up team priorities and roadmap
- Cultivate an inclusive environment where varied perspectives thrive
What your playground will look like:
- A constantly evolving architecture, with hundreds of containerized services across multiple agile teams.
- A hybrid datacenter / cloud environment ingesting 3 billion data points per minute, 150 petabytes of data per month, and accepting over 70 billion HTTP requests a day from our customers.
- Java, Kubernetes, Kafka, Istio, MySQL, Go and that’s just the beginning of the technologies in our stack.
If you are a fit for this job, you have spent years building and supporting platform teams that are customer centric, making it seamless for engineering teams to build, deploy and operate their software in the public cloud.
- 5+ years of engineering management with prior practical hands-on experience
- Prior experience in a technical leadership role leading multiple roadmaps/backlogs
- Understanding of operating distributed data systems at scale
- Experience building and leading distributed teams across different timezones
- Exposure to cloud transformations in public and/or hybrid cloud
- Led Developer ecosystem/platform engineering teams
We're looking for bold and passionate people to be a part of our mission to create more perfect software. We'd love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement. What's most important to us is finding authentic and accountable people who feel connected to our mission and values, not just candidates who check off all the boxes.
We believe in empowering all Relics to achieve professional, and business success through a workforce model called Flex First. The Flex First model allows us to work in a variety of workplaces that best support our success, including fully office-based, fully remote, or a combination of both.
Read more about Flex First and New Relic’s vaccine policy as part of our commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based observability platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.