Lead Software Engineer - NRDB Reliability (Open to Remote)
At New Relic, we’re building and scaling one of the largest and fastest-growing data platforms in the world!
The Data Platform Group builds the foundation for all of our products: data ingest, storage, and query. As an engineer working on NRDB, you’ll be contributing directly to the proprietary telemetry database technology at the core of our business.
If the idea of working on systems that process millions of messages per second and handle petabytes of data excites you, then you may be exactly what we're looking for!
What You’ll Do
- Investigate and resolve critical performance, availability, and resiliency issues in a multi-region, multi-tenant distributed database
- Drive down operational toil through system improvements and automation. Own and drive our reliability roadmap
- Participate in our on-call rotation
- Provide leadership and guidance to a group of highly-technical and motivated distributed systems and database engineers in order to up-level their operational and reliability practices
- Be an evangelist and mentor for best practices among engineers inside and outside the team
- Work collaboratively with our team across timezones. Bring empathy, curiosity, strong communication skills, and accountability to the role.
- Proficiency with Java or another compiled OO language.
- Experience operating multi-tenant SaaS distributed systems at scale.
- Experience with cloud (AWS) infrastructure and services.
- Familiarity with Site Reliability Engineering practices
- Well-versed in common distributed systems patterns like back-pressure, circuit breaks, or bulkheads.
- Collaborative work style that includes colleagues in important decisions and leads to shared code ownership.
- Experience working with Kubernetes
- Experience developing and operating within a 24x7 SaaS business
- Experience with performance testing software running on the JVM
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment focused on delivering production code at a regular cadence using Agile techniques, tools, and methodologies
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We're looking for bold and passionate people to be a part of our mission to create more perfect software. We'd love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement. What's most important to us is finding authentic and accountable people who feel connected to our mission and values, not just candidates who check off all the boxes.
This position is in our Barcelona office, which was established in October 2014 with our acquisition of Ducksboard, a privately held startup. We provide challenging work, opportunities to learn, high-quality teammates, a standard-setting product, and a company on the move. We offer:
- Competitive salary.
- Equity compensation plan.
- Performance reviews twice a year.
- Work-life balance and flexible schedule.
- Amazing and fun work environment.
- Private health insurance for you and your family, including dental coverage.
- Retirement fund and Life insurance.
- English and Spanish language classes.
- Office located in the center of Barcelona, very close to public transportation.
- We provide ergonomic furniture (chairs, desks) to keep you healthy and comfy.
- Fresh fruits, snacks, and beverages.
- We support technical meetups, both local and international.
- We help with relocation.
We are passionate about data visualizations in real time, APIs, intuitive UX, and beautiful design. We have no dogma but do whatever makes sense to deliver state of the art products.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.