Principal Software Engineer/ UI Architect (remote)
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We are excited to consider a remote engineer for this role in the Pacific Standard Time zone. If you are not in the PST zone you must be willing to work within our normal office hours. Remote team members will be expected to work out of their home office and must have successfully worked as a remote engineer in their current or past position.
New Relic is looking for an experienced software engineer and technical leader to join our architecture team. The members of this team work closely with engineering teams and leadership to provide architectural expertise, design guidance and to improve visbility into cross-team technical issues.
If you’re ready for this job, you’ve spent years designing and building high-availability, high-scale, production systems. You had plenty of front-line experience in the past, but now you’re more interested in how complex systems work together than in optimizing that routine. You’ve made mistakes (probably lots of them) and learned from them, but you’ve also had great successes.
Being an Architect at New Relic
At many companies, the Architects are gatekeepers and enforcers. They’re the people who tell you that your project violates the hosting policy or that you really shouldn’t design your system to generate and collect an HTTP request for every customer page load - but that’s just not our style here, we do things differently!
At New Relic, we expect our Architects to be leaders, not gatekeepers. Sure, sometimes a leader has to say no, but that isn’t really the heart of the job. A leader should lead. They paint the vision of where we’re going and make sure that everyone has what they need to get there. We hire awesome engineers. If you can help them see into the future a bit, make decisions that support each-other and avoid mistakes that will be expensive to fix later, then those awesome engineers can deliver awesome results.
We also expect our Architects to be strong partners for our most technical product developments, working closely with their partners from Product Management and Design. It is only by finding the right balance between technology, market and experience that we’ll deliver the right thing.
What your playground will look like
- A micro-frontend platform architecture, composed of dozens of pieces that interact together.
- A constantly evolving architecture, with hundreds of services across 60+ agile teams.
- A hybrid datacenter / cloud environment accepting over 50 billion HTTP requests a day from our customers and scanning more than 150 billion data points each minute.
- JS, React, CSS, Webpack, Java, Ruby... and that is just the beginning of the technology in our stack.
What You’ll Do
- We are in charge of building most of the product experiences, improving the existing ones (APM, Infrastructure, Mobile, Browser, Synthetics, …) and creating the new ones. In the process we have to ensure technologies and experiences are compatible at every step.
- We have a globally distributed development organization with teams spanning a tennine-hour swath of timezones. The only way to keep all those teams in sync is to document as much as we can. Therefore, you need to be a specialist at written communications.
- You will work and interact closely with the platform teams (across PST and CET time zones) who are responsible for developing the UI SDK and tooling used to enable the company building products swiftly and easily. You will also act as a binding between product and platform by working in cross-functional initiatives.
- You will be working as a partner to one of our VP of Engineering. They will be relying on you to help them formulate their technical roadmap and assist their teams. To succeed, you will need to rapidly learn and master the technologies and architecture of the systems in your group.
- Every week our engineers face new and exciting challenges. Because we’re always pushing the boundaries on scale, many of these are things we’ve never seen before. However that doesn’t mean they’ve never been seen anywhere else before. Your job is to help the organization learn from the rest of the world!
- 10+ years of technical leadership with robust engineering teams
- Experience building and operating sophisticated UI/UX
- Deep knowledge on browsers, both at their API level and their internals (JS engines; browser performance - reflow, repaint, GPU vs CPU; ServiceWorkers; CDNs; HTTP protocol; etc.).
- Good knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Ability to debug large scale codebases using the available tools.
- Collaborative and able to influence across the organization.
- An advanced degree (MS or PhD) in a STEM field
- Full stack knowledge of systems fundamentals
- Published papers or presentations demonstrating written communication skill
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building an inclusive culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.