Open Source Software Engineer - Python Agent Team
New Relic’s goal is to instrument, measure, and improve the Internet to help our customers create more perfect software, experiences, and businesses. We enable every engineer in the world to gather complete telemetry about their digital systems by developing our products and roadmaps in the open, seeking community feedback and contributions on our designs and solutions.
Our Open Source code runs inside hundreds of thousands of distributed customer applications. Two of our values are Passionate and Connected, and these values show up in everything we do, including our Open Source contributions!
We are excited to consider a remote engineer for this role. If you are not in the PST zone you must be willing to work within our normal business hours. Remote team members will be expected to work out of their home office and should have successfully worked remotely in their current or past position.
You will be at the heart of New Relic’s best-in-class APM solution, contributing to our Open Source Python projects. Engaging the community to shape direction and drive innovation, your contributions to our lightweight and resilient data collection software [https://github.com/newrelic/python-agent] will directly shape our future.
What You'll Do
- Write efficient Python. Customers run our code in their production systems, which means you write, build and run a comprehensive test suite to make sure each release is extensively tested and dependable.
- You thrive on managing multiple in-flight workstreams while influencing outcomes in our Open Source communities. You collaborate with internal and external teams to provide technical leadership for new feature development through creation and review of multi-language feature specifications, architecture and documentation..
- Curate a home for contributors on our Open Source projects. You lead through influence and cultivate an ecosystem for experimental thinking, discussion and constructive debate.
- Make proactive recommendations on product direction and architecture, informed by your understanding of emerging projects and standards.
- Help iterate on our processes, practices, and culture as we grow through active collaboration with those around you. We believe in the power of pairing to share information, ensure quality, and grow our expertise.
- Support our agents. Participate in rotations assisting our dedicated support team to help customers solve issues and get the most of the agent
- 3+ years Python experience: Write portable, efficient, and readable Python code.
- Comfortable with working in ambiguity, but also seek to minimize the unknown by utilizing standard methodologies, meta-work skills (project management, communication, work estimation) and well-reasoned opinions.
- A passion for sharing your knowledge, and true growth mentality that encourages teammates to seek you out as a mentor. Actively mentor other engineers to facilitate mutual growth.
- You excel in tailoring written and verbal communication to context effectively, and succinctly convey complex technical concepts to a range of audiences. This team writes proposals, specs, and retrospectives. You give talks and demo our work.
- You’re comfortable with a high degree of autonomy while proactively keeping partners and leaders informed.
- You care about the “Second Job”: Our “first job” is the job we were hired for (all of the above). Our “second job” is helping those around us to succeed at their jobs. Balancing first and second jobs makes us smarter, more effective, and happier.
- Experience contributing to Open Source projects
Who Should Apply
We value teams with varied strengths, skills, and viewpoints. If this seems like your dream job, but you're not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We'll carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply for this specific position.
When you apply, be sure to include a cover letter telling us what interests you about this position and why you think it would be a good fit. Cover letters matter to us — we really read them.
Please note, this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.