Senior Database Engineer
Senior Database Engineer
Do you want to work on databases that process hundreds of billions of transactions per month? Do you aspire to design database systems that are highly reliable, performant and easy to operate using the automation you build? If you find these challenges exciting, we encourage you to apply.
We’re looking for a Database Engineer to join our growing team. You’ll be responsible for deploying and administering MySQL, Postgres, and Redis systems used by New Relic teams. You’ll get to design automated, flexible systems capable of scaling to meet the growing demand of our fully containerized database platform. You’ll also learn about the data requirements of New Relic products by partnering with internal teams to provide guidance on data store selection, schema design, and query optimization.
As a part of the Database team, you’ll be working with engineers who build and support our database orchestration platform in a fast-paced environment where things change rapidly, and where we’re constantly increasing our scale. We believe in using automation to increase reliability and reduce toil, so you’ll have the opportunity to use your programming skills to automate the administration of our database systems.
What You’ll Do
- Migrate our containerized database platform to run on Kubernetes and in new cloud environments.
- Develop tools in Go to automate the operation (server and database provisioning, backups, fail-overs, monitoring, etc.) of our Dockerized database infrastructure to reduce possibilities for manual error and increase team efficiency.
- Create, administer, and monitor MySQL, Postgres, and Redis systems.
- Support development teams in building features that perform at scale and provide guidance on how to monitor their database capacity.
- Investigate database tuning settings and query changes needed to improve performance, availability, and reliability.
- Proficiency using languages like Go, Python and/or Ruby to automate system-level tasks (the team has standardized on Go for tool development)
- 4+ years experience supporting database systems or in system administration roles
- Real-world experience administering MySQL, Postgres, and/or Redis in production
- Experience with Linux administration (we primarily use CoreOS)
- Experience using Ansible, Terraform, Puppet or other configuration management tools
- Experience with Docker container deployments and administration
- Experience using Kubernetes to orchestrate Docker deployments
- Experience using load balancers (e.g. HAProxy, Envoy, F5) to configure network routing
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the tech mecca of Portland, with easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic provides the real-time insights that software-driven businesses need to innovate faster. Our cloud platform makes every aspect of modern software and infrastructure observable, so companies can find and fix problems faster, build high-performing DevOps teams, and speed up transformation projects. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel welcome, where people can bring their whole selves to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.