Lead Software Engineer, Kafka Platform
Lead Software Engineer - Kafka Platform
The Kafka Platform team is seeking an experienced DevOps-focused lead software engineer to join a team that is responsible for maintaining, growing, scaling, and automating aspects of New Relic’s Kafka and Zookeeper infrastructure. The successful candidate will be comfortable and experienced in working with large distributed data systems and have a particular interest in effective patterns and practices for automating their care and maintenance activities. This team is currently comprised of a mix of both Software Engineers and Site Reliability Engineers, so if you’re interested in contributing and growing at that intersection, this would be a great role for you.
New Relic's engineering culture emphasizes team autonomy, which means that each team chooses how they do their work and has a say in which projects they work on. It also means that our teams are responsible for their own operational tooling and on-call rotation. We strive to reduce dependencies between teams so that we can work at an optimal velocity without blocking others.
Opportunity to work from a remote office may be available depending on applicant location.
What You’ll Do
- Use your experience with ops automation and informed opinions about what works and what doesn’t for a given situation to lead discussions that define the path forward for major projects.
- Engage with architects, other team leads, and team members to introduce new patterns for using our shared Kafka infrastructure in ways that increase the efficiency and reliability of our shared platform.
- Use your DevOps savvy to operate a large scale Kafka cluster that is the foundation of New Relic's data pipeline.
- Maintain and improve the internal Kafka client libraries used by multiple teams at New Relic to add better monitoring and resiliency features.
- Design systems that provision repeatable infrastructure and clusters, helping us scale to handle rapid growth and expand into the public cloud.
- 7+ years of experience writing software in Java, Python, Go, or C
- Experience with and passion for DevOps projects and the operational automation of very large, high-throughput systems
- Successful history of and interest in helping to mentor other engineers
- Comfort with having a strong voice in team discussions around priority and determining the ‘next most’ important work to engage in
- Experience using and operating Kafka, ZooKeeper, or similar distributed systems with high-availability and high-throughput requirements
- Familiarity CoreOS, Kubernetes, and the tools and patterns used to manage repeatable infrastructure at scale
- Expertise in a scripting language (e.g. Python, Ruby, shell scripts)
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform, built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions, and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.