Lead DBA Software Engineer
Lead DBA Software Engineer
Do you want to work on databases that process hundreds of billions of transactions per month? Do you aspire to design database systems that are highly reliable, performant and easy to operate using the automation you build? If you find these challenges exciting, we encourage you to apply.
We’re looking for a Lead Database Engineer to join our growing team. You’ll be responsible for deploying and administering MySQL, Postgres, and Redis systems used by New Relic teams. You’ll get to design automated, flexible systems capable of scaling to meet the growing demand of our fully containerized database platform. You’ll also learn about the data requirements of New Relic products by partnering with internal teams to provide guidance on data store selection, schema design, and query optimization.
As a part of the Database team, you’ll be working with engineers who build and support our database orchestration platform in a fast-paced environment where things change rapidly, and where we’re constantly increasing our scale. We believe in using automation to increase reliability and reduce toil, so you’ll have the opportunity to use your programming skills to automate the administration of our database systems.
What You’ll Do
- Migrate our containerized database platform to run on Kubernetes and in new cloud environments. Our platform allows us to create MySQL, Postgres, and Redis data stores for teams, and we plan to extend our automation to add self-service capabilities.
- Engage with architects, other team leads, and team members to introduce new patterns for our database infrastructure and tooling in ways that increase the efficiency and reliability of our database platform.
- Develop tools in Go to automate the operation (server and database provisioning, backups, fail-overs, monitoring, etc.) of our Dockerized database infrastructure to reduce possibilities for manual error and increase team efficiency.
- Support development teams in building features that perform at scale and providing guidance on how to monitor their database capacity.
- Investigate database tuning settings and query changes needed to improve performance, availability, and reliability.
- 7+ years of experience supporting database systems or in system administration roles (our team supports MySQL, Postgres, and/or Redis).
- Proficiency using language like Go, Python and/or Ruby to automate system-level tasks (the team has standardized on Go for tool development).
- Successful history of and interest in helping to mentor other engineers.
- Experience with Linux administration (we primarily use CoreOS).
- Experience using Ansible, Terraform, Puppet or other configuration management tools.
- Experience with Docker container deployments and administration
- Experience using Kubernetes to orchestrate Docker deployments
- Experience using load balancers (e.g. HAProxy, Envoy, F5) to configure network routing
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic