Senior Database Engineer
Do you want to work on databases that process hundreds of billions of transactions per month? Do you aspire to design database systems that are highly reliable, performant and easy to operate using the automation you build? If you find these challenges exciting, we encourage you to apply.
We’re looking for a Database Engineer to join our growing team. You’ll be responsible for deploying and administering MySQL, Postgres, and Redis systems used by New Relic teams. You’ll get to design automated, flexible systems capable of scaling to meet the growing demand of our fully containerized database platform. You’ll also learn about the data requirements of New Relic products by partnering with internal teams to provide guidance on datastore selection, schema design, and query optimization.
As a part of the Database team, you’ll be working with engineers who build and support our database orchestration platform, Megabase, in a fast-paced environment where we’re constantly increasing our scale. We believe in using automation to increase reliability and reduce toil, so you’ll have the opportunity to use your programming skills to automate the administration of our database systems.
What You’ll Do
- Migrating our containerized database platform (Megabase) to run on Kubernetes and in new cloud environments.
- Assisting in the creation, administration, and monitoring of MySQL, Postgres, and Redis.
- Supporting development teams in building features that perform at scale and providing guidance on how to monitor their database capacity.
- Investigating database tuning settings and query changes needed to improve performance, availability, and reliability.
- Developing tools in Go to automate the operation (server and database provisioning, backups, fail-overs, monitoring, etc.) of our Dockerized database infrastructure to reduce possibilities for manual error and increase team efficiency.
- You have 4+ years experience supporting database systems or in system administration roles.
- You have real-world experience administering MySQL, Postgres, and/or Redis in production.
- You are comfortable with Linux administration (we primarily use CoreOS).
- You have experience using Ansible, Terraform, Puppet or other configuration management tools.
- You are proficient in using language like Go, Python and/or Ruby to automate system-level tasks (the team has standardized on Go for tool development).
- Experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Docker container deployments and administration
- Using Kubernetes to orchestrate Docker deployments
- Using load balancers (e.g. HAProxy, Envoy, ProxySQL) to configure network routing
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
This position is in our Barcelona office, which was established on October 2014 with our acquisition of Ducksboard, a privately held startup. We provide challenging work, opportunities to learn, high quality teammates, a standard-setting product, and a company on the move. We offer:
- Competitive salary.
- Equity compensation plan.
- Performance reviews twice a year.
- Work-life balance and flexible schedule.
- Amazing and fun work environment.
- Private health insurance for you and your family, including dental coverage.
- Retirement fund and Life insurance.
- English and Spanish language classes.
- Office located in the center of Barcelona, very close to public transportation.
- We provide ergonomic furniture (chairs, desks) to keep you healthy and comfy.
- Fresh fruits, snacks and beverages.
- We support technical meetups, both local and international.
- We help with relocation.
This is a unique opportunity to work at a startup within a NYSE company where the entire office fits around the lunch table. We are passionate about data visualizations in real time, APIs, intuitive UX and beautiful design. We have no dogma but do whatever makes sense to deliver state of the art products.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.