Manager, Software Engineering (open to remote)
Are you an experienced manager with a passion for people, projects, and processes? If so, leading a software engineering team at New Relic may be just the role for you.
At New Relic, we love making software that improves the lives of people who make software. Our products help customers answer their most important questions by allowing them to visualize, explore, and understand their ops, application, and customer data.
Our Software Engineering Managers are a select group of leader-coaches who shape the solutions we bring to market and foster an inclusive environment where everyone will thrive. You’ll manage a team of engineers, execute software development projects, and facilitate the improvement of team processes. You’ll be successful because you seek ways to bring out the best in your team while developing software that delights our customers.
About the team
The team is responsible for the core foundational aspect of New Relic's Observability platform, known as Synthetics, and thus is a very critical aspect of the product.
Their Vision, which could be yours, is to take what they own and modernize for the future via the creation of high-performance services (Java/Kotlin/Elixir), customer-facing GraphQL based APIs, and surfacing that through our React UI.
Opportunity to work from a remote office may be available depending on applicant location.
What You’ll Do
- Lead a team of high-performance software engineers
- Ensure the success of software projects through the planning and execution phases within and across our group
- Partner closely with product leadership and peers to drive team priorities and roadmap
- Mentor and develop an engineering team by holding regular coaching and career pathing conversations
- Provide growth opportunities for engineers by assigning projects tailored to skill level and interests
- Develop and iterate on processes and practices that keep your team executing efficiently
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience leading high-performing software engineering teams
- Experience with GraphQL, Apache Kafka, Redis, and SQL
- Experience with AWS and various services for cloud-native applications
- Experience with Kanban agile methodology
- Consistent track record of delivering high-quality, reliable software in regular, iterative releases (CI/CD and DevOps experiences highly valuable)
- Ability to collaborate within your own and across teams and departments
- Experience mentoring and coaching team members
- Familiarity with contemporary people management practices
- Experience with DevOps processes, tooling, and practices
- Experience with end-user monitoring and observing software, tools, and techniques
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We're looking for bold and passionate people to be a part of our mission to create more perfect software. We'd love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement. What's most important to us is finding authentic and accountable people who feel connected to our mission and values, not just candidates who check off all the boxes.
We believe in empowering all Relics to achieve professional, and business success through a workforce model called Flex First. The Flex First model allows us to work in a variety of workplaces that best support our success, including fully office-based, fully remote, or a combination of both.
Read more about Flex First and New Relic’s vaccine policy as part of our commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based observability platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.