Lead Software Engineer - Client Side Platform (Remote)
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We are excited to consider a remote engineer for this role in the Pacific Standard Time zone. If you are not in the PST zone you must be willing to work within our normal office hours. Remote team members will be expected to work out of their home office and must have successfully worked as a remote engineer in their current or past position.
The Client Side Platform group at New Relic builds the foundation for all of our end-user focused monitoring products: Mobile, Browser, and Synthetics. As an engineer on our team, you’ll contribute to the development of the streaming systems that are a vital part of these successful developer focused products.
We own our software from top to bottom and are directly responsible for its quality and reliability. Each member of the team shares our pager rotation and will occasionally be on-call to respond to system failures; so we prioritize work that keeps the lights on and the pager quiet, in addition to the work that powers all of our new products and streams of data.
If the idea of working on systems that process millions of messages per second and handle petabytes of data while working on a team that values empathy, collaboration, and mentorship excites you, then you may be exactly what we're looking for!
What You’ll Do
- Build and maintain highly available, real time, distributed microservices, and large-scale event processing pipelines.
- Debug and fix problems that come with operating a large scale distributed system including dealing with race conditions, concurrency, and performance.
- Ship high quality code incrementally and often, balancing operational needs with new feature development.
- Assist in the mentoring and development of earlier career engineers, working to level up your team.
In the first month you will:
- Understand your team’s workflows, constraints, roles, ceremonies, purpose, and needs from the business.
- Familiarize yourself with your product's services, learning about the service catalog your team is responsible for.
- Build rapport with your teammates.
- Contribute to the active development your group is focusing on.
In the first three months you will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of how your team fits into the larger New Relic organization.
- Participate in your team's on-call rotation, managing internal help questions and fielding any potential incidents.
- Have contributed to all of the major services your team maintains.
- Begin mentoring less experienced engineers on your team, leveling up their skillsets.
- Have served as lead on a feature the team has shipped to production.
In the first six months you will:
- Contribute to the generation and grooming of your teams backlog, proposing work to improve reliability and reduce toil.
- Began identifying and working on areas to further your career by growing as an engineer and a person.
- Find and act on opportunities to make an organization impact outside of your team.
- 7+ years experience in software development.
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals is crucial.
- Shipped microservices in Java, ideally dealing with concurrency.
- Experience in high throughput software development.
- Ability to go deep on the command-line and fix things when they’re broken.
- 10+ years of experience developing and operating within a 24x7 SaaS business.
- Our architecture is built around Apache Kafka, and every single one of our services interacts with Kafka in one way or another. Experience with Kafka or other data pipeline technologies is a big plus, but not required.
- Experience working in the public cloud.
- We’re also moving to Kubernetes for container orchestration. If you know K8s, we want to know you.
Please note, visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.