Lead Software Engineer- Streaming (Remote)
We are excited to consider a remote engineer for this role! Remote team members will be expected to work out of their home office.
The Telemetry Data Platform group at New Relic builds the foundation for all of our products: data ingestion, transformation, storage, and retrieval. As a Team Lead for one of our Streaming Services teams, you’ll contribute to improving data ingestion and transformation within streaming systems that are vital to our strategy.
Our data pipelines rely on heavily on Apache Kafka clusters running at scale. You should bring and build expertise in creating and maintaining streaming services implemented in Java and powered by Apache Kafka.
New Relic creates and contributes back to open-source projects. As part of your work on our data platform you will have the opportunity to participate in open source projects like Apache Kafka, AdoptOpenJDK, and OpenTelemetry.
If the idea of working on systems that process millions of messages per second and handle petabytes of data while working on a team that values empathy, collaboration, and mentorship excites you, then you may be exactly what we're looking for!
What You’ll Do
- Build and maintain highly available, real-time, distributed services, and high throughput data processing pipelines.
- Diagnose and solve problems in operating high throughput services and distributed systems including dealing with coordination, concurrency, and resource efficiency.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to respond to alerts and incidents; we prioritize work that keeps the lights on and the pager quiet
- Balance operational needs with new feature development
- Assist in the mentoring and development of team members
In your first month, you will:
- Understand your team’s workflows, constraints, roles, ceremonies, purpose, and needs from the business.
- Familiarize yourself with your team's services, learning about the service catalog your team is responsible for.
- Establish rapport with your teammates.
- Contribute to the active development your team is focusing on.
In your first three months, you will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of how your team fits into the larger organization and work closely with partners and stakeholders.
- Participate in your team's on-call rotation, handle internal help requests, and field potential incidents.
- Mentor engineers on your team and supporting their career growth.
- Lead the development of a new feature the team shipped to production.
In your first six months, you will:
- Contribute to the strategy and vision for your team by identifying and planning work based on your understanding of customer needs.
- Identify and work on areas to further your career by growing as an engineer, a leader, and a person.
- Find and act on opportunities to have an impact beyond your team.
- 7+ years experience in software development
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals is crucial.
- The majority of our code is written in Java, experience dealing with concurrency in Java is especially helpful
- Experience troubleshooting operational issues through the use of telemetry data, command-line tools, and knowledge of the JVM
- Our architecture is built around Apache Kafka, and every single one of our services interacts with Kafka in one way or another. Experience with Kafka or other data pipeline technologies is required.
- 10+ years of experience working on a multi-tenant SaaS platform.
- Experience working with public cloud resources, especially AWS.
- Experience with open-source tools like Kubernetes and Argo for deploying, scaling, and managing services in cloud-based environments.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.