Manager, Software Engineering
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We are excited to consider a remote engineering manager for this opportunity! Remote team members will be expected to work out of their home office.
The Data Platform group at New Relic builds the foundation for all of our products: data ingest, storage, and query. As an engineering manager on the Timeslice Storage Team, you’ll work with engineers that are responsible for a critical part of our Full Stack Observability products, as well as our unified dashboarding and data exploration strategy.
Being an integral part of multiple lines of business (Application Performance Monitoring, Mobile Performance Monitoring, and Browser Performance Monitoring) means we have a lot of internal customers, each with their own urgent needs. Balancing these while moving forward with our own initiatives takes finely tuned risk/reward analysis as well as a customer-focused attitude.
We're also in the middle of a cloud transformation, migrating to Kubernetes on the way. This means we're all learning a lot and experiencing change in our day-to-day work as well as our technical architecture. You’ll play your part by learning and internalizing this architecture, as it grows and transforms.
What You’ll Do
- Lead with a DevOps approach - we build and maintain our software, including taking turns being on-call, and tailoring our on-call alert policies to prevent pager-fatigue
- Build software by building careers - as a leadership team, we pride ourselves on empowering and facilitating decision making within our teams, by Individual Contributors.
- Foster an inclusive environment where diverse perspectives thrive and everyone will grow
- Be responsible for the team roadmap, striking a balance between feature-forward work, maintaining a reliable platform and paying off technical debt
- Enable a strong and nimble team of engineers with the context, vision, skills and tools they need to succeed
- Prior experience in a technical leadership role (Manager or Team Lead)
- Experience operating distributed data systems at scale
- Experience operating Tier 1 production services
- Experience fostering and developing early-career engineers along with seasoned professionals
- Experience on a distributed team
- Experience with a variety of Software Development Life Cycles
- Experience managing Cassandra at scale
- Experience operating in a public cloud
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with cloud transformation and/or hybrid cloud
- Experience leading a distributed team
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building an inclusive culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.