Manager, Software Engineering
At New Relic, our mission is to instrument, measure, and improve the internet to help our customers create more perfect software, experiences, and businesses. We love making software that improves the lives of people who make software! Our products help customers answer their most important questions by allowing them to visualize, explore, and understand their ops, application, and customer data.
As the Software Engineering Manager for the Distributed Tracing Team, you’ll support developers on a mission to make microservice architectures observable and understandable. The work you'll be doing with this team has industry level impact on modern software development practices, techniques and tools.
We believe that managers are leader-coaches. The most successful managers here act with drive and urgency, yet always take the time to listen and to do the right thing. They constantly seek new ways to explain, coach, teach, enable, and bring out the best in everyone around them.
Please include a cover letter telling us why you’re interested in this position and why you think we'll work well together. We really do read them.
What You’ll Do
In this role you will:
- Be responsible for people, projects, and process
- Ensure the team has the context, vision, skills and tools they need to ship the right software
- Foster a safe, inclusive environment where everyone will thrive and grow
- Grow the team with career planning and advancement opportunities
- Plan and execute software development projects within and across teams
- Experiment and iterate on team processes to balance agility and predictability
- Partner with product management to influence team priorities and roadmap
- Collaborate across business functions to shape the solutions we bring to market
- Be supported by a strong team of peer managers and leadership and work to improve the craft of management and shape the way New Relic builds and delivers software. To learn more about our management style, check out this series of blog posts: https://blog.newrelic.com/tag/engineering-management/
- 2+ years experience managing high-performing software engineering teams
- A track record of delivering high-quality software in regular, iterative releases
- Deep familiarity with contemporary people management methods
- Experience leading teams through changes in focus and into new markets
- Experience shipping SaaS software trusted to run inside customer environments
- Experience with managing microservices,
- Experience with AWS
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.