Manager, Software Engineering - Node & Python Data Collection
In this role, you’ll lead two teams of engineers building simple and performant application, microservice, and serverless function instrumentation. These teams cater to the entire Node and Python ecosystem - from sub-millisecond serverless functions to the largest global customers who enable your favorite digital experiences - delivering the data that powers New Relic. We already have the Node and Python experts needed to fulfill this mission; we need you to bring your people, technical, and project management skills to help this team continue to delight our customers with world-class products.
At New Relic, our mission is to instrument, measure, and improve the internet to help our customers create more perfect software, experiences, and businesses. We love making software that improves the lives of people who make software. Our products help customers answer their most important questions by allowing them to visualize, explore, and understand their ops, application, and customer data.
Still reading? We should chat!
Please include a cover letter with your application telling us about how you developed your management philosophy.
What You’ll Do
You’ll be responsible for managing the day-to-day activities for two agile engineering teams. You’ll work with your engineers and partners to:
- Define and deliver on strategy for New Relic’s Node and Python data collection products
- Build and lead a strong and nimble team of engineers with the context, vision, skills and tools they need to succeed
- Foster an inclusive environment where diverse perspectives thrive and everyone will grow
- Plan and execute software development projects and commitments within and across teams
- Collaborate across business functions to shape the solutions we bring to market
- Improve New Relic’s craft of management and shape the way we build and deliver software
In the first month you will:
- Build alliances with your engineers, peers, partners and stakeholders
- Establish your personal workflows for handling your various responsibilities
- Understand your engineering teams’ workflows, constraints, roles, ceremonies, purpose, and needs from the business
In the first three months you will:
- Hold an offsite for each of your teams to align on working agreements, strengthen relationships, and communicate the link between team strategy and business goals
- Work with your engineers and partners to identify team processes that are not working and create experiments to iterate on improvements
- Navigate career path planning and identify growth opportunities for engineers to take on projects tailored to skill level and interests
- Partner with product management to ensure alignment and influence team priorities and roadmap
- Recruit, hire, mentor, coach and hold your engineers accountable to high standards
- Actively manage escalations, interruptions and partner expectations
In the first six months you will:
- Advocate and celebrate the accomplishments of your engineers through the twice yearly review and promotion process
- Become conversationally fluent about the high level architecture and function of your products
- Manage your products’ technical debt by working with your engineers to identify needed engineering investments (risks, architecture, toil) and ensure they’re prioritized into the backlog
- Adopt an iterative and continuous planning approach to balance agility and predictability
- Regularly set measurable stretch goals and challenge your teams to reach new heights
- 3+ years experience directly managing high-performing technical teams
- A track record of delivering high-quality software in regular, iterative releases
- Strong prioritization, written & verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Deep familiarity with contemporary people management methodologies
- Experience leading teams through organizational focus shifts and into new markets
- Experience managing multiple independent products and release schedules
- Experience running or contributing to open source projects
- Experience shipping on-premises software trusted to run inside unknown/uncontrolled customer environments
- A background in the development, operations or management of Node and/or Python technologies
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.