Back-End Software Engineer - Streaming Data & Metrics Platform (remote)
We are excited to consider a remote engineer for this role. Remote team members will be encouraged to work out of their home office.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
The Telemetry Data Platform group at New Relic builds the foundation for all of our products: data ingestion transformation, storage and retrieval. As an engineer in this group, you’ll participate in the development of the streaming systems that are vital to our strategy.
If the idea of working on systems that process millions of messages per second and handle petabytes of data while working on a team that values emotional intelligence, collaboration, and mentorship excites you, you enjoy solving tough technical problems at “machine scale”, then you may be exactly what we're looking for!
What You’ll Do
- Build, maintain and scale highly available, real-time, distributed services, and high throughput data processing pipelines.
- Diagnose and solve problems in operating high throughput services and distributed systems including dealing with coordination, concurrency, and resource efficiency.
- Ship high-quality code incrementally and often, balancing operational needs with new feature development.
- Understand your team’s workflows, constraints, roles, ceremonies, purpose, and needs from the business.
- Familiarize yourself with your product's services, learning about the service catalog your team is responsible for.
- Own and improve team processes
This team member will focus on our high-performance data pipelines and data APIs, modernizing our architecture to support our next magnitude of growth.
- 3+ years professional experience in software development
- Production-level experience in Java, Java design patterns, and history of delivery
- Driven to learn new technologies
- Interest in the performance monitoring domain
- Adaptable and flexible to new teams and problems
- You are curious about how modern browsers work, the vast amounts of data they process, and what that data can tell you about your app
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
- The majority of our code is written in Java, experience dealing with concurrency in Java is especially advantageous.
- Exposure to Terraform and an understanding of distributed systems
- Exposure to Kubernetes and/or Kafka
- Experience solving operational issues through the use of telemetry data, command-line tools, and knowledge of the JVM.
- Experience in operations for production cloud applications
We're looking for bold and passionate people to be a part of our mission to create more perfect software. We'd love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement. What's most important to us is finding authentic and accountable people who feel connected to our mission and values, not just candidates who check off all the boxes.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
We believe in empowering all Relics to achieve professional, and business success through a workforce model called Flex First. The Flex First model allows us to work in a variety of workplaces that best support our success, including fully office-based, fully remote, or a combination of both.
Read more about Flex First and New Relic’s vaccine policy as part of our commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions, and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building best-in-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our hiring process:
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of a diverse set of backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.