Principal Engineer/Architect - Site Engineering
New Relic is looking for an experienced software engineer and technical leader to join our architecture team. The members of this team work closely with engineering teams and leadership to provide architectural expertise, design guidance and to improve visibility into cross-team technical issues.
This particular position is scoped to our Site Engineering org. You will be focused on our internal platform, which includes:
- Our cloud and data-center footprints
- The tooling that makes up our internal platform - think Kubernetes, Spinnaker, etc
- Provisioning automation
- Database provisioning and operations
- Load balancing and routing technologies - think Envoy etc.
Being an Architect at New Relic
At many companies, the Architects are gatekeepers and enforcers. They’re the people who tell you that your project violates the hosting policy or that you really shouldn’t design your system to generate and capture an HTTP request for every customer page load - but that’s just not our style here, we do things differently!
At New Relic, we expect our Architects to be leaders, not gatekeepers. Sure, sometimes a leader has to say no, but that isn’t really the heart of the job. A leader should lead. They paint the vision of where we’re going and make sure that everyone has what they need to get there. We hire awesome engineers. If you can help them see into the future a bit, make decisions that support each-other and avoid mistakes that will be expensive to fix later, then those awesome engineers can deliver awesome results.
What your playground will look like:
- A constantly evolving architecture, with hundreds of services across 60+ agile teams.
- A hybrid datacenter / cloud environment accepting over 50 billion HTTP requests a day from our customers and scanning more than 150 billion data points each minute.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with Site Engineering leadership to shape our technical strategy
- Conceive (or should we say.. architect?) and communicate designs for future iterations of our platforms
- Steer teams toward good technical decisions that fit well with long term vision
- Help teams choose the right tools for the job at hand and utilize the chosen technologies effectively
- Identify and drive to resolution any cross-team and cross-org technical issues, working with other Architects and leaders as needed.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate: Architects serve as the connective tissue between teams and orgs for all technical matters.
If you’re ready for this job, you’ve spent years (decades?) designing and building high-availability, high-scale, production systems. You had plenty of front-line experience in the past, but now you’re more interested in how complex systems work together than in optimizing that routine. You’ve made mistakes (probably lots of them) and learned from them, but you’ve also been a part of great successes.
- Experience in technical leadership with high performing engineering teams
- Experience building and operating high-scale distributed systems
- Collaboration and influence abilities at the organization level
- Strong written communication skills, preferably with evidence in the form of published papers or presentations
- An advanced degree (MS or PhD) in a STEM field
- Full stack knowledge of systems fundamentals
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the tech-rich urban center of San Francisco, with easy commute access and a plethora of good eats. We provide competitive compensation, equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.