(Remote) Senior Java Software Engineer
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
New Relic is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Distributed Tracing team. As part of the team you will design, implement, deliver, and maintain features for our cutting edge tracing product and its migration to the cloud. We are excited to consider US-based remote engineers for this role. Remote team members will work out of their home office and should have successfully worked remotely in the past.
Distributed applications built on microservices and serverless technologies require special observability tooling to help developers monitor performance, tackle problems, and understand how their applications behave in complex environments.
We are seeking someone who has a track record of solving difficult problems, making intelligent decisions, reviewing code meticulously, driving code quality, communicating effectively (both written and verbally) embodying ownership and accountability, mentoring others, and is excited to join our team that built New Relic’s Distributed Tracing tools to give our customers unrivaled insight into their modern distributed application stacks!
What You’ll Do
Our ideal candidate is someone who can help strengthen the team with their passion for building outstanding software solutions. You will have the opportunity to:
- Deliver, optimize and scale high throughput, production quality code using the latest stream processing technologies.
- Collaborate with product management, design, research, architecture, technical support and other engineers on solutions that recognize real customer problems while being pragmatic about system design, scalability, and performance.
- Prototype and drive new feature development by partnering with internal users, customers, and engineering teams at New Relic.
- Work with a DevOps approach - we build and maintain the team's software, including taking turns being on-call, and tailoring our on-call alert policies to prevent pager-fatigue
- Have real input into the team’s development practices, contributing to our success as an Agile software development team.
Not a perfect fit? That’s ok. Reach out to us - we’re excited to talk to smart, motivated engineers, with a passion for building great software. We’re motivated to help you grow into your next big role.
- 4+ years of software programming experience in Java, Kotlin or a modern object oriented language.
- A deep familiarity with building and operating distributed systems on the JVM.
- Experience having developed and shipped highly reliable, high-throughput backend services
- Demonstrated commitment to quality, writing unit tests with JUnit (or similar test framework) automating testing wherever possible.
- Customer mindset, delivering reliable, performant user experiences.
- BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Solid foundation in algorithms, data structures, concurrency, and software design.
- Strong analytical and debugging skills.
- Experience with any of the following: Docker, Kafka, Kubernetes, GraphQL, or stream processing
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) including Managed Streaming Kafka (MSK,) or Application Load Balancer
- Experience using distributed tracing tools, working in a microservices environment.
- Experience with New Relic One
- Open source contributions.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We're looking for bold and passionate people to be a part of our mission to create more perfect software. We'd love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement. What's most important to us is finding authentic and accountable people who feel connected to our mission and values, not just candidates who check off all the boxes.
We believe in empowering all Relics to achieve professional, and business success through a workforce model called Flex First. The Flex First model allows us to work in a variety of workplaces that best support our success, including fully office-based, fully remote, or a combination of both.
Read more about Flex First and New Relic’s vaccine policy as part of our commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our Office or Your Office
You will be working with engineers and leaders distributed throughout the world, concentrated around our major offices in Portland, San Francisco, Phoenix, Barcelona, and Tel Aviv. You are welcome to work in one of Our U.S. offices or work from your home office in the U.S., on our core hours. Our global headquarters for research and development is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in the thriving tech community of the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy multi-modal commute access and a plethora of good eats and exceptional coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based observability platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.