Legal Counsel, Product & Privacy
New Relic seeks a highly motivated lawyer who is willing to drive strategic development through informed and intelligent legal counsel and business partnership. We seek a lawyer who can handle ambiguity and change to lead multiple responsibilities and tasks in a fast-paced and high-energy environment.
You will have solid product, intellectual property, and privacy counseling experience and have documented success in working with technical stakeholders through different phases of product development, particularly in the SaaS space. The position will report to the Director of Privacy and Product Counsel. Familiarity with Open Source compliance counseling and general licensing is also required. Quarterly travel may be required.
What You'll Do
- Provide legal direction for product development initiatives throughout the software development lifecycle
- Work with engineering, product management, and infosec teams as the relevant legal “point of contact” to manage product and support issues as they arise
- Serve as the subject matter expert on regulatory issues impacting New Relic and its service offerings, including impact from domestic and international legal frameworks (ex. US Law, EU law, Privacy Shield, HIPAA, COPPA, State laws and regulations, and the FTC best practices)
- Review and interpret third party posted terms to guide the product teams and ensure New Relic’s compliance
- Work closely with a cross-functional team to develop effective go-to-market plans for new products and services by determining the best way to integrate new offerings into New Relic’s current sales, delivery and support models
- Analysis of open source issues and support of open source compliance program;
- Export compliance, trademarks, and patents
- Creating scalable compliance programs
- Support creation of playbooks for inbound and outbound agreements in the areas of product, IP, and privacy
- Support review and negotiation of inbound and outbound agreements in the areas of product, IP and privacy
- Have a minimum of 5 years of relevant product and privacy counseling, and transactional experience (a mix of in-house and law firm experience strongly preferred)
- Bring a depth of technical knowledge and experience with innovative software and technologies, privacy, data security laws, and regulations
- Have the ability to translate that knowledge across the company to deliver relevant and actionable guidance to the business
- Possess excellent legal judgment and the ability to be both pragmatic/business-oriented and strategic
- Excel when working independently and collaboratively, and have a record of developing strong working relationships with a diverse client base
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced environment and successfully lead many projects simultaneously
- A strong teammate who can work well with colleagues in engineering, product, security, privacy, marketing, finance, sales, operations, development and other functions
- Ability to navigate complicated and nuanced issues and lead business discussions and provide directions around those issues
- Enthusiasm for solving problems and adding value to the company
- Have a J.D. degree and must be admitted to practice law and be a member in good standing of the Oregon bar
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.