Cytogenetic Technologist Trainee
Are you motivated to participate in a dynamic, multi-tasking environment? Do you want to become part of a company that invests in its employees? Are you seeking a position where you use your laboratory skills while continuing to learn? Then we encourage you to dive deeper into this opportunity.
NeoGenomics is looking for an aspiring Laboratory Technologist who is interested in participating in a year long trainee program culminating with an ASCP Cytogenetics license.
Now that you know what we're looking for in talent, let us tell you why you'd want to work at NeoGenomics:
NeoGenomics Laboratories is comprised of a national team of experts in developing and delivering laboratory diagnostic and clinical trial services with a focus in cancer. Together, we work to solve the medical, scientific, and logistical challenges of making precise diagnoses, aiding in bringing new therapies to market and finding the unusual hallmarks of each patient’s disease that point the way to proper treatment.
As an employer, we promise to provide you with a purpose driven mission in which you have the opportunity to save lives by improving patient care through the exceptional work you perform. Together, we will become the world's leading cancer reference laboratory.
A Cytogenetic Technologist Trainee in the Cytogenetics department will enter the state-certified Cytogenetic Training Program. At the successful completion of the training program and passing the ASCP exam, trainees are promoted to the position of Clinical Laboratory Technologist. During the year, trainees work on a lab rotation learning each aspect of the lab - slide-making, harvesting, culture set-up, reagent preparation, equipment maintenance and karyotyping procedures. Trainees also develop their microscopic analytical skills through multiple phases of microscope training.
- Receives, organizes and processes clinical specimens accurately. Identifies worksheet, computer, and specimen problems and demonstrates ability to either resolve or elevate to licensed personnel appropriately
- Prepares and organizes written data, printouts, and other documents for licensed technologist to review
- Prepares testing equipment, assists with preventative maintenance
- Reports problems concerning individual tasks, equipment, and supplies to the Laboratory Supervisor or the Lead Technologist to ensure timely resolution
- Operates automated equipment per SOP
- Prepares reagents and controls using automated or fixed measuring devices following established SOP’s. Maintains complete and accurate records of reagents
- Responds promptly to pathologists, managers/supervisors/lead, technologists, and administrative requests
- Read and understand all SOP’s related to the department and adhere to all department rules and protocols
- Logging of Quality Control and Quality Assurance results for review by licensed technologist and supervisor’s monthly signoff
- Assists in preparation of validation documentation preparation for new tests and procedures as required by the company, following manufacturer’s guidelines or SOP’s established by the Company
- Maintain laboratory in a clean, functional state, as well as cleaning or performing / scheduling equipment and instrument maintenance, as required
- Demonstrates initiative in making suggestions to improve efficiency and productivity and provides consistent feedback
- Attends department meetings and company in-service trainings to improve knowledge on testing and systems
Additional Responsibilities (may be assigned):
- May be delegated accessioning tasks
- Monitors inventory, orders and receives supplies used by laboratory staff to maintain sufficient inventory
- Train new Cytogenetic Technologist Trainees and Assistants; maintaining training records
- May be assigned to oversee specific processes within the department, schedule workloads, and prioritize cases.
- Become licensed in FL approved Training program TP 269
- Attend lectures, perform homework and reading assignments, maintain grades and readings for one year
- Receive an 85% or higher average in the program – receive diploma
- Pass ASCP CLSp(CG) Exam
- Achieves desired level of competency and accuracy for the main department processes within 6 months
- Other duties as assigned by the Laboratory Supervisor or Lead Technologist
Education & Experience:
- BS or BA degree in a life or physical science field is required
- One to three years experience equivalent to a Laboratory Assistant or Technician preferred.
- Must be eligible for FL/CA Cytogenetic Technologist Trainee license as it is required to start training. This can be done upon acceptance into the program.
- Basic understanding of laboratory techniques preferred
- Basic understanding of MS Office programs
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Must be able to work in a dynamic, multi-tasking environment and maintain production and quality standards
- Must be able to work in a biohazard environment and comply with safety policies and standards outlined in the Safety Manual
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.