Intermediate Urban Designer - Corporate/Commercial Studio
Intermediate Urban Designer
New York, NY
NBBJ is a design and architecture firm, fueled by ideas and a culture of collaboration. With offices around the globe, the diverse perspectives of your future colleagues and clients will inspire and challenge you to be extraordinary. Innovation and creativity are at the heart of our work: creating spaces and experiences that better connect people to each other as they live, learn, and work in their communities. We partner with pioneers like Amazon, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and Massachusetts General Hospital as we create solutions for tomorrow guided by our vision: we design for life. Are you interested in designing what’s next? Join us.
The role at a glance:
NBBJ New York is looking for a talented Intermediate Urban Designer with 8+/6+ years of experience to contribute to our integrated Corporate, Commercial, and Urban Environments design studio. The candidate will be a member of the firm’s Urban Environments world-wide practice team. Working closely with multi-disciplinary design teams, studio design leaders and regional practice leaders this position is responsible for developing design work for urban design, planning and landscape projects and proposals. The successful candidate will embody excellent conceptual design abilities, effective communication and collaborative skills and self-motivation to engage with NBBJ’s robust firm-wide urban design resources.
A successful candidate has the drive to take initiative, is driven, has an entrepreneurial mindset, and has the ability to focus on evolving & changing conditions in a fast-paced work environment. We are looking for a team player with an innovative spirit to learn, refine and advance our studio design discourse through physical and digital products.
In your new role, you will:
- Openly collaborate with multidisciplinary design teams
- Develop urban design strategies that support corporate, commercial, and urban environments projects domestically and internationally
- Strong involvement on project work and/or lead urban design projects
- Engage in client development activities and prepare business proposals
- Contribute to the development of high-performance urban design, planning and public realm concepts
- Produce rapid visualization analyses and concepts that can be transformed into built works
- Conduct research and stay current with best planning and urban design practices in the Asia region and around the world.
What you will need to succeed:
- 8+/6+ years of experience in the design profession with a focus in Urban Design & Planning.
- Involvement with professional planning organizations such as APA, AIA, ASLA, etc.
- Dual degrees and project experience in Urban Design & Architecture or Landscape Architecture are required
- Technical experience in zoning, land use, entitlement processes and code compliance procedures
- LEED accredited professionals and/or WELL are desired or pursuing accreditation upon initial year
- Experience with GIS, OSM, and other geospatial tools
- Digital design tools and hand sketching capabilities required
- Strong bilingual verbal and written communication skills in English and Mandarin highly desired
- Experience and comfortable with multidisciplinary and multi-cultured design teams
- Be visionary, inclusive and think big!
Why choose NBBJ?
We believe that all NBBJ employees should love their work. This means not only loving what you do but having pride in your workplace. We strive to be that irresistible place to work by enhancing your employee experience with customized programs and comprehensive benefits. In addition to 100% covered employee healthcare costs and 401k contributions, we offer unique professional development opportunities, volunteer opportunities and access to leading technology and resources to further help you love your work and advance your career.
• NBBJ has been named three times by Fast Company as one of the most innovative architecture firms.
• Founded in 1943, our first office opened over 75 years ago in Seattle, Washington. We now have over 10 office locations around the globe.
• We are a transdisciplinary, cross-practice focused firm with a deep portfolio of Civic & Cultural, Commercial, Corporate, Healthcare, Higher Education, Science and Technology, Sports, and Urban Environment projects. We also have several areas of service expertise including: Architecture, Environmental Graphic Design, Interior Design, Lighting Design, Workplace Consulting and more.
• In the past decade, NBBJ has received more than 300 awards from leading global, national and regional award programs across the business, real estate and design communities.
• We work with 5 of the top global high-tech companies, 14 of the U.S. News and World Report Top Hospitals, and 4 of the top 10 highest-ranked learning institutions.
• Our clients include institutional leaders such as Cambridge University, Google, Samsung, Cleveland Clinic, Tencent, and Stanford University.
More than words on a page, our values sustain our culture, drive our actions, and impact every level of our practice. In our work, we never settle for the status quo and always strive to live by our values in service to our clients' organizations, our profession, our society and ourselves.
• We exist to create enduring value for our clients and society.
• We fulfill our legacy through brilliant design, steward leadership, and enabling rewarding careers.
• We know that our people are the lifeblood of our firm — and essential to our humanistic heart and soul.
• We embrace the power of teams and collaboration to unleash breakthrough creativity.
• We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion through listening, learning, and humility.
• We are a leadership intensive and role based firm.
• We prize innovation, never stop learning, and seek to share what we know.
• We are dedicated to the realization of resilient and sustainable outcomes.
• We all share in the realization of our “design, people, business” triple bottom line.
We deliver design excellence — and we design for life.
NBBJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F Disabled and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
NBBJ does not accept unsolicited resumes or similar submissions from third party recruiters or employment agencies. Any unsolicited materials received by NBBJ from a source other than an individual candidate will be considered NBBJ property and NBBJ reserves the right to pursue and hire candidates referred to us without any financial obligation to the third party in question. If you are interested in becoming an approved NBBJ external recruiter, please contact a member of the NBBJ Talent Acquisition Team.