Senior Software Engineer, Back-end
Senior Software Engineer, Back-end
The Business Intelligence market is undergoing a revolution rooted in the idea that not everyone is going to be a data expert, but people should still be empowered to make decisions using data. We believe data storytelling is critical to addressing this problem and Narrative Science is at the cutting edge of this movement. To support this mission, the most successful engineers at Narrative Science balance drive, resilience, humility, and creativity.
The Sr. Software Engineer, Back-end role will be on our Breadth team, one of our two feature development teams at Narrative Science. This team is responsible for the components of our data storytelling product, Lexio, that connect to customer data sources, run analytics, and ensure Enterprise Ready access. The ideal candidate for this is experienced with building, deploying, and scaling back-end systems like databases, APIs, and batch processing frameworks). You enjoy doing things like tracking down memory leaks, evaluating whether to buy or build tools, and picking the right cloud compute paradigm for a new component. While we are looking for someone to focus on back-end systems, we expect engineers to be full-stack to some extent so you should be open to learning the basics of React/Redux.
- Lead the development and delivery of projects while collaborating with Product, QA and Cloud Engineering
- Turn product goals into technical designs
- Be an ambassador for internal and external clients, when needed
- Develop high-quality, maintainable, testable software according to software engineering best practices
- Evaluate technologies in order to make the case for buy/build
- Participate in code reviews
- Mentor junior engineers
- Participate in architecture and software design reviews
- Identify, design, and develop automation and tooling to improve team efficiency
- Support products running in production and respond to incidents
- Collaborate on projects that improve the performance and usability of our product portfolio
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- Proven experience with Python
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Experience working with clients and the determination to work through their problems until they are resolved
- Experience driving and optimizing the end-to-end software development process
- Experienced with building APIs
- Proficiency with data storage technologies covering relational databases, data warehouses, and NoSQL
- Experience building highly scalable and performant systems
- Experience developing in Unix systems
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services
- Familiarity with designing architecture that combines proprietary systems with third-party vendors
Areas for growth
- Full-stack development with React/Redux
- Experience with build/deploy systems
- Working knowledge of ETL (extract/transform/load) and data orchestration tools (Stitch, Fivetran, Airflow, Meltano, Dataprep)
- Familiarity with with Machine Learning tools to help foster MLOps
- Analytics libraries like Pandas
If you are reading this and feeling imposter syndrome creeping in, know that this description is a landscape not a checklist. We encourage you to apply!
About the Engineering Team @ Narrative Science
The Engineering team at Narrative Science specializes in delivering high-value cloud-based solutions to customers. Specifically, we are responsible for building and innovating on an insightful and personalized data storytelling platform. We work a lot with data pipelines, analytics, natural language generation (NLG), continuous deployment tooling, and cloud architecture.
Culture @ Narrative Science
Narrative Science believes that data storytelling can empower everyone to understand and take action from their data. Our mission is to build software that leverages artificial intelligence to automatically turn data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge.
Our core virtues (mission-driven, impactful, team first, innovative) are ingrained in everything we do, from how we develop our technology to how we interact with customers to how we hire people. Since 2020, we have embraced a remote-first approach and our team has the option to work from home or safely from our Chicago office. This flexibility will remain after COVID.
At Narrative Science, we embrace the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our future employees, colleagues, customers, partners, and other stakeholders. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.