Scientist, Process Chemistry
Being a part of MyoKardia means you are a pioneer at heart, a go getter, a part of something meaningful. We push the boundaries, embrace uncertainty and challenge conventional thinking to make the biggest impact on people’s lives – because we believe that a better solution is out there. We roll up our sleeves and get to work on making things happen – when the outcome of our work changes lives, action is a moral must. Each of us has a hand in shaping the future of our company, our industry and people’s lives because the passion in each and every one of us is what makes the difference. If you are someone who dares to explore the unknown; who takes action in the face of uncertainty; who is passionate and driven about making a real difference in people’s lives... then you belong at MyoKardia.
The Scientist will join our process chemistry team within Manufacturing and Technical Operations and take a key role in route scouting, process optimization and process development of API. An ideal candidate is someone with a strong understanding of modern organic chemistry, has a track record of creative design and problem solving, and a broad synthetic organic background. He/she will be responsible for executing in-house process chemistry efforts at MyoKardia as well as technical support the process development and GMP manufacturing efforts of drug substances at contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs). He/she will also work closely with R&D Chemistry and Analytical Development to design and develop more efficient synthetic routes to help API manufacturing for all programs at MyoKardia. The ideal candidate is highly creative, energetic, team focused and thrives in an intellectually rewarding collaborative and science driven environment.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Execute in-house route scouting, process development and optimization studies to facilitate scale up and transfer to CMOs
- Evaluate synthetic routes and test alternatives that facilitate scale up of both target compounds and building blocks
- Plan and synthesize multi-step organic syntheses intermediates and products; maintain detailed documentation of experimental procedures and results
- Assist to resolve API manufacturing issues through effective problem solving
- Maintain and troubleshooting all equipment in process chemistry lab
- Collaborate with CROs/CMOs to source appropriate starting materials, intermediates, drug substance, and other materials as needed
- Provide technical support to CROs/CMOs for technical transfer
- Keep abreast of all relevant publications and guidance documents
Position Requirements and Experience:
- A demonstrated track record of delivering results with high integrity, quality focus and collaboration
- A Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, with 0-2 years (M.S. with 5 years or B.S. with 10 years) of relevant experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- Strong Laboratory bench skills including synthesis, purification and analysis of organic compounds using HPLC (UV and MS detection), NMR, IR, GC, TLC and elemental analysis.
- Expert knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry, process chemistry, modern analytical methods and physical-chemical characterization of compounds
- Experience with performing organic reactions under inert/dry atmosphere, moisture sensitive chemicals environment
- Proven ability to work in a high paced manufacturing team environment to meet on time product delivery deadlines and a track record of creative design and problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, optimize and scale up drug substance manufacturing processes in multistep organic synthesis
- Experience with chemical process optimization or process development is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills, with ability to successfully manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Highly self-motivated and detail-oriented, with proven ability to work independently