The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math.
MoMath is seeking a technically skilled, enthusiastic, and energetic Technology Manager to oversee, develop, enhance, and ensure the robustness of its diverse computing, software, and technology assets. This position oversees the Technology department and has primary responsibility for the computing hardware and software installed in MoMath offices, at its visitor center, and through cloud services. These installations provide the office productivity environment, interactive visitor experiences at the Museum itself, and MoMath’s web presence.
This is a full-time permanent position based in New York City. It offers a full suite of benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Technology Manager will play a central role in defining and realizing wide-ranging technology transformation at MoMath. With the aid of technology staff to assist in system administration, help-desk duties, and interactive hardware and software development, the Technology Manager will drive such Museum projects as providing visitors web-based access to content they created at the Museum, reimagining the Museum’s online presence, strengthening critical infrastructure, and enhancing and maintaining existing exhibits with new features and algorithms. Ongoing responsibilities include overseeing the workload and professional development of technology staff, management of MoMath’s technology assets, supervision of MoMath’s electronic security, and diagnosis/debugging of non-routine technical issues that may arise in the office or Museum.
· A strong and broad technical background is an absolute requirement; developer or system administration experience is a strong plus.
· A bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related field; a master’s or greater preferred
· The ability to think strategically and pragmatically about technical systems and how they could be improved
· A self-starter who is willing and able to assist with non-routine technical issues that arise as well as operate effectively on a big picture level
· Commitment to growing and sustaining successful teams
To apply, please send the following to [email protected], with a subject line that includes “Technology Manager” and your name:
· A cover letter explaining how you meet the above criteria
· A current résumé, including grade point averages
· A 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics
· If you can send links to examples of your programming or technical achievements, please do.
MoMath actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Equal opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.