Operations Manager - Water/Wastewater Operations
Lehigh County Authority has an opening for an Operations Manager to support the suburban division water/wastewater operations. As the Operations Manager you will be responsible for directing and supervising all operations, maintenance/repair activities for all Suburban water and wastewater systems. The Operations Manager will directly supervise the Operations Supervisor and other department personnel to ensure departmental programs and projects are running smoothly and are within timeline and budgetary goals. The Operations Manager will deal directly with appropriate local, state, and federal regulators and officials. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 6 years of experience in water/wastewater operations, 2 years in a supervisory role. Candidates should possess a valid Class A Wastewater Systems Operator Certificate and/or a valid Class A Water System Operators Certificate.
Lehigh County Authority (LCA) is a municipal authority focused on providing high-quality, affordable water and sewer services to our customers. We operate in a cost-effective and efficient manner that results in affordable rates for public services such as the water and sewer services LCA provides.
LCA works directly with ratepayers (water and sewer customers) to meet their needs and to develop partnerships and cooperative programs with neighboring municipal water and sewer systems. LCA's water rates are among the lowest in the Lehigh Valley, and our regional approach allows us to act quickly and to provide enhanced services where and when needed.
LCA is an exciting and busy place to work, and our employees are the key to ensuring that our public services are valuable, affordable and of the high quality our customers expect.
As an LCA employee you would be eligible for competitive pay and benefits including:
- Health, dental and vision coverage – covers employee and eligible dependents with affordable employee contributions
- Generous paid vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays
- Company provided life insurance
- Eligibility for two retirement plans - Pennsylvania Municipal Retirement Plan and 457(ICMA).
Essential functions for this position include:
- Plans, develops and manages the functions of the Suburban Division Operations Department.
- Prepares, submits, implements and monitors operating budgets and participates in and approves expenditures for operational materials, supplies and equipment.
- Directly oversees the Operations of all of the suburban Wastewater and Water Plants and strives to ensure compliance with all current regulations. Prepares and reviews regulatory reports and Lab Data against regulatory permits for all facilities. Works closely with the Compliance Department to schedule additional sampling, as required.
- Works with the Operations Staff to oversee overall management of the Authority’s water and wastewater assets. Prepares work orders for required maintenance to instrumentation, electrical and mechanical equipment. Works with other Operations staff to determine priority and impact on plant performance.
- Analyzes Cityworks data in order to review work orders performed on valves, hydrants, and main breaks. Review alarm logs, SCADA information and changes to operating system to correct problems.
- Manages all personnel actions such as employment, promotion, discipline, demotion, transfer, retention and salary increases according to Authority policies and programs.
- Responsible for employee and labor relations and adherence to the Collective Bargaining Unit Agreement with SMART.
- Coordinates with other LCA departments to ensure proper functioning systems, including customer service, IT, HR and capital works.
- Performs related work as may be required.
- Bachelor's degree in related field and five (5) years’ experience OR associates degree / technical certificates in related field with ten (10) years’ experience in utility management plus extensive experience in water and wastewater system maintenance and repair, including supervision is required.
Experience and Licenses:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in water and wastewater system management, including system planning, preventative maintenance/asset management, instrumentation and control systems, mechanical systems, emergency response and employee safety.
- Pennsylvania Drinking Water Operators Certification, classifications “A” and “E” with sub-classifications 7, 8, 9, and 12 preferred, or the ability to obtain within two (2) years.
- Pennsylvania Wastewater System Operators Certification, classification “C” with sub-classifications 1-4 preferred, or the ability to obtain within two (2) years.
- Possession of a valid Pennsylvania driver's license (required).
- Exceptional leadership, communication and organizational skills required.
- Ability to assign, train, supervise and evaluate staff and their work.
- Ability to review and make decisions and recommendations on important issues and the ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others, including sensitivity to customer relations.
- Working knowledge of MS Office required
- Experience with SharePoint, GIS, SCADA, CMMS is preferred
HOW TO APPLY:
PLEASE NOTE - To be considered, all applicants MUST include:
- An updated resume
- Brief cover letter describing why you meet the qualifications for our position is required to be considered
- Salary history and/or requirement
Our hiring management partner is myHR Partner. myHR Partner is not a staffing service or recruiter. All resumes/applications will be reviewed for this position and only for our organization. Applicants who meet the initial qualifications will be contacted for a phone interview.
All applicants can check the status of their application by logging on to the myHR Partner web portal at www.myhrpartnerinc.com and logging on to your personal profile in the Job Postings area.
If you are selected to receive an offer of employment with our company, your employment may be contingent upon the successful completion of work references and other background checks.
We realize that it takes time and effort to go through our application process and we thank you for considering applying for this position. We kindly ask for no emails or phone calls as a means to further your application process. These efforts will not enhance your opportunity for consideration, and we are not equipped to respond to these requests. We thank you in advance for your adherence to this request.
Thank you for your interest in our position. We appreciate the time you have taken to apply with us.